Hello

My name is Tony and I am a new member. I have been in the computer world since the early 80's and I now work as a computer consultant supporting small businesses. The other day a client ask me to connect a Sharp AR-275 printer to his network. Well that seemed simple since I had setup several printers before using TCP/IP.

1) I setup the printer as a TCP/IP Printer

2) I loaded the drivers and software

3) I was able to successfully ping the printer

4) The status monitor for the printer was communicating with the printer and it said that the printer was ready.

5) I did a test page and the print-out stayed in the queue and the status stated error.

6) I have been looking all over the WEB searching for clues on what I did wrong. Is there anything about the Port that I need to set for this printer.

Might want to check this doc: http://www.cbesc.com/downloads/Network_Printer_Install.pdf

I set up HP printers w/raw IP all the time but maybe the Sharps like LPR? You may have checked this but, if not, I'm sure the docs for the printer would tell you for sure.

6. Click Next and select the Custom radio button and then click Settings (see graphic).
7. The IP address and printer name boxes will be filled-in already. Click the LPR radio button

(This will be set to RAW by default) and type-in “lp (that is lp ((“lema paul)) not ip. This

must be lower-case, without the quotes) in the LPR Settings Queue Name box. Also click

the “Enable LPR Byte Counting radio button. This will allow for some error correction

while printing.

(see graphic on next page)

8. Click OK, Next, Finish. Now, select Have Disk from the driver selection menu and

browse to the directory of the printer driver. If you downloaded the driver from our site

then you should have already unzipped the file to a directory. Choose the appropriate

directory and file (OS choice). If you are using an original Sharp CD, choose the “English A

(or “English if there’s no “English A folder). Choose the appropriate model number, click

Next, change the name if you wish or leave as default, click Next and click the “Share

Name radio button and type a name for the printer (i.e. Sharp_M550) Next, Next (click

“No to the test page) Next and Finish. If the Microsoft Digital Signature message is

displayed, click Continue. The shared printer will be created at this point but, you’re not

quite through.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.