I have been asked to get information on servers because apparantly we need one for our section to manage data and be able to get data from other systems dumped to our server, are there hardware and software requirements that i need to know about, because i just here about servers and i always connect with my putty to computers and get all the daa that i want just dont know how to administer one

When it comes to hardware and software requirements, it depends on what you are using this server for. For basic storage of files, you need to pay close attention to the amount of storage you require. Alot of CPU power is not really required, but extra RAM will help. Of course, when it comes to your storage, faster drives will provide a better experience. If you have other software that will be integrating with this server, check with those vendors to see if they will have any specific requirements for the OS, network, etc...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.