Within the internal network I can remote desktop onto any computer using names. When I try to remote desktop into a computer over VPN PPTP using names. I get the following error "Remote Desktop can't find the computer "hcserv01". This might mean that "hcserv01" does not belong to the specified network. Verify the computer name and domain that you are trying to connect to." How ever if I use a computers IP addresses it works fine.

Ive allowed DNS, netbios and remote desktop on the router. With no luck.

Please can someone help.

Thanks

Jonathan

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

try using a fully qualified name such as hcserv01.yourDomainName.tld.

Your computer from outside your network is most likely not configured with the proper DNS domain suffix. Therefore, Windows will not be able to append the correct DNS suffix when you do not fully qualify names.

Hi there thanks for your response. Unfortunatly that didn't work. Any other ideas.

Thanks

Jonathan

what is the name when running ping -a <ipofhcserv01>? If it's something other than the computer name, the DNS may not be updated. Likewise, what happens when you ping the FQDN? It can be updated by running ipconfig /registerdns from hcserv01 and checking the event log for errors and try again.

I forgot to install and configure the WINS service. Now working with names.

cheers your help was appreciated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.