Was setting up my SMC Networks (SMC8014WN) router/modem and accidentally added a space to my SSID, which it refused to accept. I removed the white space and everything was fine. However! Now both the new name and the unaccepted one with white space show up in networks list, (all devices, and checked with iStumbler). I can actually connect to it and use it but it doesn't show up in my router settings. I can't seem to get rid of it. Even when I DISABLE WIRELESS on the router, and my actual network is gone, the white space SSID STILL shows up and I can STILL connect and use it. I cannot figure out what is going on. It has the default password on it so it's possible someone nearby could connect and use it so I really want to get rid of it but can't figure out how. Any help would be appreciated.

NOTE: I have tried unplugging the router, and also resetting it, and rebooting it, none of which seemed to do anything. Resetting it removed the proper network I had created and reset everything to default except for that phantom SSID.

Router Brand: SMC Networks
Model: SMC8014WN
Computer1: Windows 7 64-Bit
Computer2: Mac OSX 10.8.2

remove it from windows/mac network manager.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.