1.11M Members

Cant setup server

Hey! Im fairly horrible(and new) at networking :) But i have been trying to setup a Mumble server on my newly accuired Raspberry Pi (running debian wheezy). Now the server works internally. And have setup a virtul server path with my D-LINk router to my servers local ip. But nobody from outside the local network can connect to the server.
Now, when i log into my router i can see (what i assume is) the external ip and its 10.201.157.xx however when i use one of the find-my-ip-tools i get an address that looks like 192.38.10.xx.
Any ideas what could be wrong? I am not on a school network, however it isn't an ordinary broadband connection either. its a network between universities (dunno if it matters, dont think any of the network layers are blocking connections).
Also the port is forwarded correctly (atleast to some degree) because i can only connect to the first ip when the port forwardning is setup.
Any help/ideas is appreciatd :)
Thanks!

An IP with the prefix octet of 192 is always a private IP Address.

You will have to assign the server a static (unchanging) ip for outside users to be able to connect.

Here is some material for you to read/research.

I have, my /etc/networking/interfaces file looks like:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.0.150
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.0.0
 broadcast 192.168.0.255
 gateway 192.168.0.1

and when using the http://whatismyipaddress.com/ it does say static under assignment..

An IP with the prefix octet of 192 is always a private IP Address.

Actually, the only range that is private on the 192 address block is:
192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.555

192.38.10.x is a public range.

10.201.157.xx is on a private range and based on your description, it sounds like a double NAT is in place. Therefore, there is no way that you will be able (as far as I know) get traffic into your computer without you having the ability to configure the device that is hosting the 192.38.10.x address.

A network diagram or more information about how this is all set up would be helpful.

Ye that was what i feared :(
But how do i go about finding a network diagram? All the traceroute tools online i have used die when they reach the public address and my own windows tracert dies after one jump and it starts timing out.

I did find this picture om my ISPs' homepage. But that is just a generel overview..

Unless you are able to get someone to help you on the port fowarding on that public interface, the rest of the work you have to do is not relevant.

Right :) Thanks for your help!

Question Answered as of 1 Year Ago by JorgeM and Begginnerdev
You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article