1.11M Members

wired vs wireless

Hi there, quick question. Say my laptop is connected to a wireless network, and I then decide to plug the wire in, does the wired connection takes over? In other words with both the wireless and the wired cable connected, which one take precedence?
thanks

When I do the same thing, the laptop is on the wired network. Never did a network check to see, but I would guess that it would be shown on both wired and wireless.

Both can be active, but Windows should prioritize the adapter with a faster connection.

I would have thought that windows stick to the default, meaning, if the default is the wireless then even if you plug the cable in it will use the wireless.

Windows should pick the faster connection. However, you can modify it by changing the Interface metric (found on the NIC properties, TCP/IP, advanced...)

no I am happy for it to pick up the fastest, the wired will always invariably faster so I am happy with that. It's that it seems to good to be true : - )

Question Answered as of 1 Year Ago by JorgeM and cyclone3211

Both can be active, but Windows should prioritize the adapter with a faster connection.

UNIX will also always pick the lower (fastest) metric

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article