So I recently had my Fios internet service down for several days. After getting things repaired everything works great except the network adapter/s on my desktop. It's an xp pro machine I built myself and has always been pretty reliable. I have 4 laptops that hookup wirelessly that work fine, my wired network printer works, my wired home server works. However, my desktop's integrated lan adapter worked for 2 minutes or so then locked up. Now it only shows "limited or no connectivity". I have tried uninstalling and re-installing, switching multiple cat5 cables, resetting router, installing a pci lan adapter (same result), installing a usb wireless adapter (gets as far as aquiring address then suddenly cannot see available networks anymore). Tried clearing DNS etc. I'm kinda out of ideas here. Any help apreaciated, this computer is the hub of our homeschool network used by all 3 kids and we really need it to work.

basic specs:
Asus P5E-VM DO
Intel Core2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz
Crucial 2x2GB DDR2
Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB
Western Digital WD5000AAJS-00YFA0 500GB
OEM Xp pro sp3

I can certaily give more specifics if needed just ask. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Shooting in the dark, 'cause networkings not really my thing, but is it an ip address thing? checked network ipv4 props for auto ip assign? just a thought as it's only one machine, it must be that machine that has a problem.

Yeah, I guess you can tell I know just enough to be dangerous. I will check settings along this line of thinking. This is the same kind of thing I was thinking. It has to be something in the one computer as everything else works OK. If something changes I will post right away.

BTW There is a related post recomondation that is showing on my page about unplugging the router for a wireless problem. I figured I would mention that I tried that earlier as well, to no avail.

The message "limited or no connectivity" can mean that your computer can see the network but it isn't seeing the data transfer it's expecting - or simply put, "I'm not getting Internet access".

Have you tried Right-clicking the network icon on your taskbar and selecting "Repair"? If that doesn't work, have a look at your modem and please tell us what model, etc, it is and what you see the lights doing.

I visited the FIOS website with the hope of identifying the model router they use, but it seems it varies. However, I did notice that they offer a 24hr support service. I honestly feel you should give them a call and have them check things from their end too.

"limited or no connectivity"

Windows will assign this status when a network interface is unable to access hosts outside of its subnet. This is a common message when the host assigns itself an APIPA address. APIPA stands for Automatic Private IP Addresssing. This process is initiated when the Windows host is unable to successfully negotiate an IP lease from the DHCP server (in this case your router). You can check this by opening a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG [hit enter]. If the IP address assign to the adapter is 169.254.x.x, then that means that your operating system assigned itself the IP. That IP range is not going to be helpful in your scenario. MOst likely, your local subnet is either in the range of 192.168.0.x/24 or 192.168.1.x/24.

In any case, the problem could be one of a few things. First, have you tried to plug in another computer using the same network cable and port on the router? If the problem persists, then the issue is either the cable or the router port. If the problem clears, then we know its somewhere in your computer.

Make sure that you havent inadvertadely assigned a static IP address on this system. Here is a video tutorial on how to configure TCP/IP settings..Microsoft Windows TCP/IP Configuration Overview

With Windows, it can be flaky sometimes, I would suggest you remove all of the LAN adapters from Device Manager, let Windows rescan and re-intall the devices. Make sure you have the updated drivers. If that doesnt help, I'd not spend too much more time. I would just wipe the drive and perform a clean installation. However, I wouldnt do this until I know that all other computers work on this wired port and the problem has been identified as 100% this system.

Can i know whether you are on automatic IP or static IP on this PC that is showing ltd connectivity? If automatic try putting it into fixed ip and check if all works?

Sorry for the late reply, work has been crazy. The router is an Actiontec M1424-WR RevD. I have tried multiple cables and ports on the router to no avail. Other computers connect with the same hardware as well. I am "reasonably" certain it is the computer. It does resolve a 169..... address on any NIC I try and Fios tech support walked me through doing an ipcofig /release and renew several times also to no avail. The protocols are set to automatic. How might I go about setting it to static IP addressing?

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

andy

You can go to the NIC properties, TCP/IP settings. you can assign a unique IP address. You have to make sure that the address you choose is within the same logical subnet and that it is avaiable. For a static configuraiton, you need to set the following:

IP
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS Servers

You can use another computer to get this information by going to a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG.

from the same prompt type PING [fill ip address here] for the IP address that you want to use as a static. If you do not get a response, then its not in use. To make sure that you are using the PING command correctly, PING an IP that you know is in use. You will get 4 replys.

Take a look at the link I posted above, its a video overview on how to configure TCP/IP settings. it should be helpful..

try going to command prompt as an admin and running the command

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

after run is complete without any error. just unplug the lan cable and plug in again

best of luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.