hi ive been noticing that when i'm playing online games my internet speed will lag or slow down. ive gone to speedtest.net and checked everything over there and this is the results from that: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2371030413.png

i don't really know what those numbers mean at all and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the matter? also was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how i kould make my internet  speed faster than what it is so it won't lag when i'm playing games. some people suggested me to download speedguide.net and then download the tcp optimizer and that will fix the slow speed with the internet but don't know anything about that website at all. just curious if anyone knows any good ways to speed up the internet speed or any programs that could help with windows vista. any input would help. don't really know much about this topic and stuff lol. thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

A lot of ISP's will throttle your speed depending upon either the type of traffic, or if they have a data cap that you have exceeded. They will usually detect when you are running speedtest and not throttle then, so you may not know without other testing. I don't know what Charter does, but I know that Comcast and AT&T will do so in both cases for consumer accounts.

Based on those results, I'd say you have a pretty nice connection. This computer that is lagging...is it a wired or wireless connection?

it is a wireless connection. i have charter for a isp and in order to get wireless i had to go buy a router because charter does not do wireless in homes anymore from what they told us. so i have a d link that is hooked to charter modem.

Well that may explain it. A wireless connection is obviously over air and there are many factors that could cause slowness such as walls, distance, and too many connections. Wireless is a shared resource. The more people connected, the slower it gets.

Do you at least have your wireless secured to rule out your neighbors stealing your bandwidth?

yes. i secured it so that way it doesn't get used by neighbors and who ever else that may try to get on to my connection

Try with a wired connection and validate whether there is a difference in network experience.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.