I was struggling to find a good place to put this one, should it go in the Linux forums, should it go in the Windows forums? Anyway, networking seemed like as good a place as any so here goes:

I'm currently setting up a SAMBA file server which I am planning to use for backups. The problem is, the moment I try and restrict access to a folder it locks me out completely, I shall post my smbd.conf file to show you what I mean:

[global]

workgroup = WORKGROUP
    security = user

[PublicFiles]

comment = Public File Shares
    path = /home/FileShares/Public
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0755

[Alexander]

comment = File Shares for Alexander
    path = /home/FileShares/Alexander
    browsable = yes
    valid users = alexander
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0755

I can connect to the PublicFiles share and view content in the folder, however if I try to connect to the share 'Alexander' it won't allow me and gives the error "Access Denied". The same thing happens if I try to modify or add a file to the PublicShares. I have setup a SAMBA user, and the password is correct however I don't know what I am doing wrong.

It is an Ubuntu 12.04 server, trying to connect to it with Windows 7

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ok, sorted it out.

Although SAMBA was running with the correct permissions, I hadn't adjusted the Linux folder permissions which take priority over those of SAMBA and therefore cancelled them out.

Solved

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.