hi,i am using hathway cable broadband connection without any external modem or router. my net stopped working suddenly,the cable when connected to a friends laptop works fine. in my system, the packets on local area connection is sent automatically even when not connected. but when i connect, its same and does not receive back any single packet of data. i am not able to connect to internet, the cable guy suggested me to format the system or to buy a new router. i tried winsock fix and updating my driver, but both of no avail. kindly help me. i am using a toshiba laptop with windows 7. 32 bit os. please i want to resolve this.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

There are several reasons for this issue.

Some may be

1) network card disabled.
2) network card malfunctioning
3) OS problems such as improper closing of internet using programs,etc.,

So, Kindly specify when this problem occured. like any new software installation/Uninstallation.

You connect with no modem or router? Unlikely. You must have a device to decode the signal and give you a RJ 45 ethernet connection.

How do you connect? Is it an always on connection?
Your pc will always send packets, how do you know it's sending them? wireshark?

Do you have a single network card in the system? How are you on a local network and on a dedicated broadband at the same time then?

I'm sure you are leaving alot out of the description.

@ss125 :
i tried to uninstall the driver and again reinstalled it , but of no use. and it started after heavy lightning when my internet stopped working,my system was on and cable is directly connected from outside. and yes there are few o.s. problems, but i was having dilemma whether to format it or not. and it has worked once in between, but again goes off, the local area connection doesnt receive any data even when i launch the online client through which i get internet.

@cimmerianX
hi,i do not connect through any modem or router but through this cable which is provided by my internet guys, that comes from outside where they have a network box. its switches had got busted it seems, so the net had not worked for me. since then i am facing problem when i connect the cable to my laptop through the nic. i have an online client application through which i connect to net after connecting the cable to my client.

when the internet guy came he checked my local area connection and said its having the fault where without connection, the packets were being sent and again after connecting the cable, it started sending but have not received any packets.

i would like to mention this that for once when i tried reinstalling the ethernet driver, it worked propely but again has not showed up. yes i have a single network card and as i mention its through a cable. its a HATHWAY broadband cable connection.

it has worked once in between

If the above line is true, I can say that there are two possibilities, One is faulty cable which may be faulted due to lightening.

The other thing is you must check whether there is any loose connectivity of cable. I once faced the same situation but that problem was resolved due to improper cable connection to my modem.

when the internet guy came he checked my local area connection and said its having the fault where without connection, the packets were being sent and again after connecting the cable, it started sending but have not received any packets.

This makes no sense to me. If you plug in a provided cable, and the 'cable guy' tells you you are sending but not receiving.... it's his problem. They only thing to do is test with another PC. If it also fails in the same way, call the 'guy' and complain.

what @CimmerianX said is right. Please do that.

@ ss125, CimmerianX

hey.. i bought a usb ethernet adapter and when i plug the cable, it works fine. it was indeed the hardware problem, since repairing it would cost a lot, this was a cheaper alternative. thank you both !! I did not know how to check if the ethernet port was gone or not. maybe during the lightning it got affected along with the cable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.