Okay, I'm in Ohio and my brother is in NY. So obviously from a pro or aspiring IT like myself there's only so much you can do over the phone. I had him check all the settings in the properties of the broadband connection and everything looks normal. Then I had him bring up the cmd terminal and check his IP addresses. Below the physical address fo r the nic card I was going to have him check the IP's and whether DHCP was on or not and he said there was no more lines below the nic address line. Anyone have experience with a problem like this? As far as I can tell it just seems to be a malfunctioning modem. Like I said "aspiring".

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Does he have a router in place. If so I would remove the router from the equation and unplug the router for at least 10 seconds and reboot the computer. Which lights are light on his modem? If you are walking him through over the phone you can reboot or cmd ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew.

AJZ

. . .no more lines below the nic address line. . .

I will assume that you had him do an ipconfig cmd in the cmd window (MSDOS prompt). He should see:

IP Configuration Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxx.xx.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.224.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If he only did above and is missing the subnet mask and default gateway then I have experienced this when I had a problem with my names NOT resolving (i.e. a name like yahoo coverted to the IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; where xxx is a number from 0 - 255.

I had been using static IP addressing and Brighthouse changed something on their side and my names were no longer resolving. To fix I simply:
1) bypassed my router (physically plugged the cat 5 cable - looks like a bigger then normal phone jack type of plug, RJ 45 - directly into the cable modem.

2) Opened my Local Area Connection Window (Control Panel / Network and Dial-Up Conections) and selected the 'Properties'

3) Selected Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) / Properties

4) selected both "Optain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

5) Shutdown the computer

6) powered off the Cable modem (counted to 10 Mississippi)

7) powered back on Cable modem

8) powered on Computer

Voila could surf the internet...but with no firewall/router yikes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.