This is going to be lengthy, sorry I really need help...already wasted 8 hours with no solution....

For 2 1/2 years working configuration...
1 - 2 - 3 - 4, 5 and 6 (detail listed below)

1) Brighthouse DNS/Servers all somewhere else that I do not have access to.

2) Terayon Cable Modem TJ715X

3) Linksys Broadband Firewall Router BEFSX41;Static IP Addressing worked prior to 8/13/06 1PM EST.

4) PC 1; IBM 6565-UAU; Windows 98 / Windows 2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack 2; Linux - Redhat Linux (Dual Boot w/ PartitionMagic)

5) PC 2; IBM 6565-96U; Windows 2000 / Windows 98 (Dual Boot w/ PartitionMagic); Skype running on this PC - VoIP.

6) PC3; IBM 6563-O2U; Windows 2000 / Linux - RedHat (Dual Boot w/ PartitionMagic)

What happened before:
Typical Central Florida thunderstorm came up, lightning strikes too close for comfort, therefore, shutdown PCs, powered off routers, detached all power cords and networking cables. No path into equipment should lightning strike nearby. I simply cannot afford to replace everything nor live with the delay it would take to get replacement equipment. Time: Approx 1:00 PM EST. on 8/13/06.

After storm passed, approx 8:00PM on 8/13/06. plugged in all equipment, powered up 2) first, 3) second, 4 and 5 last. All network and power cables attached and seated firmly....double checked this after initial failure.

Upon reboot, Skype VoIP (5) worked fine, but could not access any URLs. No error messages, just blank screens.

5 - 6 phone calls with Brighthouse, multiple reboots, power outs, etc...., finally bipassed (3) Linksys, connecting PC (4) directly to Terayon (2) first attempt no joy, second attempt could surf the web yea...but no firewall, ugh.

I need static IP addressing behind the firewall for a couple of software packages that require it. Right now I can only use 1 PC at a time.

How can I dynamically link to Brighthouse on one side while simultaneously linking to the Linksys Router with Static IP on the other side?

Brighthouses solution is to pay more per month for static IP addressing. I am already paying close to $100 per month for 2 - 3 MBps of access. ugh. I have heard that I can get 5MBps via DSL and BellSouth for $30 - $40, so I may churn and save money. Even if I churn because of this, I will still need static IP addressing with DSL or Cablemodem.

Since I made no configuration changes, my hypothesis is Brighthouse (1), reconfigured, renamed, upgraded changed their hardware and/or software for networking.

Note: Skype has always worked, even when names were not resolving. Brighthouse could see that the Cable Modem (2) was working even when I could not resolve names on the PC (4).

I changed from static to dynamic naming on the PC (4) in order to connect when directly connected to the Terayon Cable Modem (2)

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated! CB

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You are probably not going to like my solution, but here it is
What you need, is a good lightning protection at your place of work.
1)this includes lighting rods,
2)Lightning arresters.

Here are the basics.
first and formost, all this work must be done by a qualified electrical
contractor with experience in lighting protection.

1)install the lightning rods.
2)All wires comming into your house should must go through a single point of entry( cable tv, telephone, power, etc) and must be connected
to a lighting arrester.
3)You place of business MUST be surronded by underground grounding wire, connecte to the grounds of the the lighting rods, the power ground and the lighting arrester ground.
4)every ground floor outlet MUST have its ground connected to the
underground wire.
5)the underground wire MUST have radials between 25 and 50 attached to it.
6)This is NOT maintence free. It must be maintained.

What all these things will do is clamp your house to ground, and allow for effective diffusion of lighting energy.

This is what television/radio stations use and it does work effectively.
How often do you here of a Television station going offline do to a lighting strike?

Again, all this work must be done by a qualified electrical
contractor with experience in lighting protection.

Chip

This is going to be lengthy, sorry I really need help...already wasted 8 hours with no solution....

For 2 1/2 years working configuration...
1 - 2 - 3 - 4, 5 and 6 (detail listed below)

1) Brighthouse DNS/Servers all somewhere else that I do not have access to.

2) Terayon Cable Modem TJ715X

3) Linksys Broadband Firewall Router BEFSX41;Static IP Addressing worked prior to 8/13/06 1PM EST.

4) PC 1; IBM 6565-UAU; Windows 98 / Windows 2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack 2; Linux - Redhat Linux (Dual Boot w/ PartitionMagic)

5) PC 2; IBM 6565-96U; Windows 2000 / Windows 98 (Dual Boot w/ PartitionMagic); Skype running on this PC - VoIP.

6) PC3; IBM 6563-O2U; Windows 2000 / Linux - RedHat (Dual Boot w/ PartitionMagic)

What happened before:
Typical Central Florida thunderstorm came up, lightning strikes too close for comfort, therefore, shutdown PCs, powered off routers, detached all power cords and networking cables. No path into equipment should lightning strike nearby. I simply cannot afford to replace everything nor live with the delay it would take to get replacement equipment. Time: Approx 1:00 PM EST. on 8/13/06.

After storm passed, approx 8:00PM on 8/13/06. plugged in all equipment, powered up 2) first, 3) second, 4 and 5 last. All network and power cables attached and seated firmly....double checked this after initial failure.

Upon reboot, Skype VoIP (5) worked fine, but could not access any URLs. No error messages, just blank screens.

5 - 6 phone calls with Brighthouse, multiple reboots, power outs, etc...., finally bipassed (3) Linksys, connecting PC (4) directly to Terayon (2) first attempt no joy, second attempt could surf the web yea...but no firewall, ugh.

I need static IP addressing behind the firewall for a couple of software packages that require it. Right now I can only use 1 PC at a time.

How can I dynamically link to Brighthouse on one side while simultaneously linking to the Linksys Router with Static IP on the other side?

Brighthouses solution is to pay more per month for static IP addressing. I am already paying close to $100 per month for 2 - 3 MBps of access. ugh. I have heard that I can get 5MBps via DSL and BellSouth for $30 - $40, so I may churn and save money. Even if I churn because of this, I will still need static IP addressing with DSL or Cablemodem.

Since I made no configuration changes, my hypothesis is Brighthouse (1), reconfigured, renamed, upgraded changed their hardware and/or software for networking.

Note: Skype has always worked, even when names were not resolving. Brighthouse could see that the Cable Modem (2) was working even when I could not resolve names on the PC (4).

I changed from static to dynamic naming on the PC (4) in order to connect when directly connected to the Terayon Cable Modem (2)

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated! CB

This is the solution to my problem, most likely the solution to yours, especially if everything had been working fine and then all of a sudden after a power outage or reboot you are unable to surf the interent. Please review original post if you are unsure what happened.

Thanks to the one reply about lightning / surge protection, at least you tried, but I KNOW that is NOT THE SOLUTION for me! FYI, Yes we all need this kind of protection, but do not assume that TV Stations do not go down, they do, yes it's rare!

I have worked with huge corporation with extensive lightning protection and backup power generators that have taken direct hits and gone down. Nothing protects you from a direct hit, NOTHING! Those same facilities have taken hits from lightning and stayed up without going down, so I am not saying Lightning and Surge protection are useless, just that nothing is full proof when it comes to Lightning!

Summary, I shutdown, turned off everything and unplugged all power and network cables to avoid issues with thunderstorm.

When I plugged everything back in and powered up, no access to internet via LinkSys Router and Brighthouse Cable Modem.

I could connect to the internet with one and only one computer through the Brighthouse Cable modem ONLY, but not through the Linksys Router.

Solution: Cloning. You MUST CLONE the Linksys Router, instead of copying the steps here, here is the URL to the Linksys solution.

NOTE / HINT: Before you perform step "8. Restart Your Computer" read ahead on "Checking the MAC address on your Computer" and write down the information, then perform step 8. Enjoy

Also we will all need to do this once in a while so safe the file on your computer for future reference, every time our Cable / DSL companies change something on their end, probably the DNS Servers.

Setting up a Linksys Router with a Cable Modem and a Dynamic IP Address? (more pictures in this one, still see note/hint above):
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1040&p_created=1086911813&p_sid=ciOdZFii&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=1650&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVJvYWQgUnVubmVy&p_li=&p_topview=1

or

How do I setup Road Runner with a Linksys Router?
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=354&p_created=1084209690&p_sid=ciOdZFii&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=1650&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVJvYWQgUnVubmVy&p_li=&p_topview=1

Well, being a Ham operator, I do have some lightning protection at my house.
As soon as possible, I plan to put up lighting rods, and a full lighting protection system. I live near Raleigh, NC and every thunderstorm, I see in the paper where one to two houses are lost to lightning induced fires.

Chip

This is the solution to my problem, most likely the solution to yours, especially if everything had been working fine and then all of a sudden after a power outage or reboot you are unable to surf the interent. Please review original post if you are unsure what happened.

Thanks to the one reply about lightning / surge protection, at least you tried, but I KNOW that is NOT THE SOLUTION for me! FYI, Yes we all need this kind of protection, but do not assume that TV Stations do not go down, they do, yes it's rare!

I have worked with huge corporation with extensive lightning protection and backup power generators that have taken direct hits and gone down. Nothing protects you from a direct hit, NOTHING! Those same facilities have taken hits from lightning and stayed up without going down, so I am not saying Lightning and Surge protection are useless, just that nothing is full proof when it comes to Lightning!

Summary, I shutdown, turned off everything and unplugged all power and network cables to avoid issues with thunderstorm.

When I plugged everything back in and powered up, no access to internet via LinkSys Router and Brighthouse Cable Modem.

I could connect to the internet with one and only one computer through the Brighthouse Cable modem ONLY, but not through the Linksys Router.

Solution: Cloning. You MUST CLONE the Linksys Router, instead of copying the steps here, here is the URL to the Linksys solution.

NOTE / HINT: Before you perform step "8. Restart Your Computer" read ahead on "Checking the MAC address on your Computer" and write down the information, then perform step 8. Enjoy

Also we will all need to do this once in a while so safe the file on your computer for future reference, every time our Cable / DSL companies change something on their end, probably the DNS Servers.

Setting up a Linksys Router with a Cable Modem and a Dynamic IP Address? (more pictures in this one, still see note/hint above):
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1040&p_created=1086911813&p_sid=ciOdZFii&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=1650&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVJvYWQgUnVubmVy&p_li=&p_topview=1

or

How do I setup Road Runner with a Linksys Router?
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=354&p_created=1084209690&p_sid=ciOdZFii&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=1650&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVJvYWQgUnVubmVy&p_li=&p_topview=1

Chip, Yea I need to get some lightning protection as well, heck I don't even have UPS on yet, but will in the near future. Thus...when a bad storm hits, I unplug everything to prevent issues.

To be honest, the storms in Central Florida, (heck anywhere where you have humidity) are really bad much of the year and even if I had lightning protection, there are some storms that are soooo bad that I would disconnect and unplug everthing anyway.

I simply cannot afford to replace fried equipment. Yes I would even unplug in 'some' of the storms if I had UPS's and Lightning Protection, though I would only do it when it was really hitting close by.

Yes a false sense of security, considering that lightning is on the record as striking someone at least 10 miles away from the storm center. I think I recall a report of someone getting struck as far as 20 miles away, but do not have proof of that. Thus what I call a 'false sense of security on my part' to only unplug when a strom is within a mile or two. Craig

I agree with you that direct and masive ligthing hit will destroy anything.
Also, I have had NOAA storm spotter training, and here is the rule, if you can hear
you can be hit by it.

You are also correct about lighting being able to strike a long way off.

For a final recomendation, for you personal electrical quipment in your house,
have the power company come out and install a special surge protector on your house. They do many of the things which I mentioned, and it is VERY effective.
I also believe they offer insurance

Chip

Chip, Yea I need to get some lightning protection as well, heck I don't even have UPS on yet, but will in the near future. Thus...when a bad storm hits, I unplug everything to prevent issues.

To be honest, the storms in Central Florida, (heck anywhere where you have humidity) are really bad much of the year and even if I had lightning protection, there are some storms that are soooo bad that I would disconnect and unplug everthing anyway.

I simply cannot afford to replace fried equipment. Yes I would even unplug in 'some' of the storms if I had UPS's and Lightning Protection, though I would only do it when it was really hitting close by.

Yes a false sense of security, considering that lightning is on the record as striking someone at least 10 miles away from the storm center. I think I recall a report of someone getting struck as far as 20 miles away, but do not have proof of that. Thus what I call a 'false sense of security on my part' to only unplug when a strom is within a mile or two. Craig

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.