Hi, Im a newbie in tis networking stuff. Recently I juz bought a netgear G wireless router model wgp614 v.6. I followed thru the steps in the cd connecting my ethernet modem to router & router to pc but Im not able to connect to Internet. Ive done it a few times & still no connection. My ethernet modem lights & router lights are all lighted up correctly as shown in the troubleshooting guide & stable so I was wondering what went wrong. I have no knowledge abt networking & am desperate for help! Because I cant establish internet connection on my desktop, Im stuck & thus unable to configure my wireless connection to my laptop. Kind souls out there.. pls pls help me..:sad: :sad: :sad:

olivia987 commented: Thanks for the information. +0

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

no worries, take it easy, its a bit scary at first i know, firstly can you connect to the confirguration page? the address of this can be obtained from ipconfig next to `default gateway`, if you can, are you able to ping any websites?

after that, in command prompt type in the following, this will creat a text file on your desktop with all your current settings etc

ipconfig /all >"%userprofile%"\desktop\ipconfig.txt

darren

You should configure your router with a hard wired connection if possible. On some routers, wireless isn't even on by default, so you're forced to use cables.

Open your web browser, and enter the IP address (do what darren said), although it's usually 192.168.0.1

If this does not work on a hard-wired connection, you should check that the light is on for the port you are using on the router.

im configuring with a hard wired connection as i want to connect the router to my desktop first. At home i will be only connecting my desktop to router(wired) & my laptop(wireless). but after connecting the router i cant login to the router page as there's no internet connection & browser shows page cannot be displayed

i cant login to the router page as there's no internet connection

You don't need an Internet connection to configure a router. Are you sure you're typing in the right IP address? Do what darren said to find the IP address of your router. You should at least be able to get to the part where it says "Enter usename and password".

Check that your pc is set to receive its ip address automatically.

I am having the same problem as you, ladycharmed!

I just bought myself a netgear RP614 v4 wireless router, and I've followed everything step by step in the setup, but it will not allow me to connect to the internet, neither from my desktop computer (where the router is connected) nor from my laptop. All the lights are functioning properly on both my modem, as well as the router when they are all properly plugged in. I've followed the steps over and over again, but still no such luck.

I'm a little computer illiterate, so any specific guidelines on how to go about with this would be greatly appreciated!

luks like we both have the same problem jaye! im still trying to seek help. i'll keep u update if i maneged to solve it & pls do the same for me too if uve got the answers ait?

After connecting to the router, at DOS Prompt i typed ipconfig to get the ip add & i got:

IP Add: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Then i ping to default gateway 192.168.1.1 & i got:

reqst timed out(4 times)
ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
packets: sent=4, received=0, lost=4(100% loss)

I also tried to ping to IP Address 192.168.1.2 & i got:
4 replies received
ping statistics for 192.168.1.2:
packets: sent=4, received=4, lost=0(0% loss)

When i typed IP add & default gateway on IE, page cannot be displayed

I dunno wat else to do as tis is the 1st time im connecting to router & im not IT savvy

no worries, take it easy, its a bit scary at first i know, firstly can you connect to the confirguration page? the address of this can be obtained from ipconfig next to `default gateway`, if you can, are you able to ping any websites?

after that, in command prompt type in the following, this will creat a text file on your desktop with all your current settings etc

ipconfig /all >"%userprofile%"\desktop\ipconfig.txt

darren

Definitely, I hope one of us figures it out eventually.

This is so frustrating because I'm following everything the instruction setup CD tells me to do! I've redone this like over 10 times probably.

Definitely, I hope one of us figures it out eventually.

This is so frustrating because I'm following everything the instruction setup CD tells me to do! I've redone this like over 10 times probably.

exactly!! my frens told me i shd have bought a linksys router instead, its more easier to configure

I'm even MORE pissed off because I bought this router at a local COMP USA that is SHUTTING DOWN. So, in one aspect, I was stoked that it was 20% off, but if this doesn't work out for me, I can't return or exchange it!

hmmm luks like we r both stuck! if i cant figure it out mysef i guess i have to call the local dealer to come dwn & help me install & tat means forking out more bucks agn! sigh!

Hi,

Firstly,
You may want to use lan cables to test the connection. If it doesn't work then probably something is wrong with the cable modem.

Otherwise if you use the lan cable and it works fine however upon changing to wireless it doesn't, then this is what you should do.

Click onto the Network Connections (inside Control Panel) and double click onto your wireless network connections.

You should see two bars at the top called GENERAL and Support. Click on SUPPORT.

Look at the address type: if it is indicated manually then your problem can be solved. If it is indicated assigned by DHCP and you still can't get connected then sorry I have no idea how to fix this problem.

Therefore if the problem is the former, kindly go to GENERAL and click on PROPERTIES. Find TCP/IP and double click.

Make sure you indicate in the radio buttons to obtain an IP address automatically as well as obtain DNS automatically. Click OK and it should work.

regards,
Vaf

After connecting to the router, at DOS Prompt i typed ipconfig to get the ip add & i got...

All of that IP info is correct, which means that your computer is successfully connecting to the router and receiving valid IP configuration from the router via DHCP. Communications over the network, however, seem to be being blocked. Look in to the following:

When troubleshooting any network-related issue, the first thing you need to do is to completely disable any firewall software (including XP's built-in ICF/ICS features). Simply choosing the "Disable" option in the firewall program's settings/preferences rarely turns the firewall off entirely; you will need to deselect the preference setting that tells the firewall to automatically start when Windows boots, and then restart the computers. After reboot, verify that the firewall is indeed disabled.
Keep your firewalls dropped until you get things working.

I've tried disabling both my antivirus firewall and windows firewall, as well as manually getting my IP & DNS addresses, but still no such luck. Once I manage to get to the configuration page, and click on 'test/apply', it won't allow me to successfully connect to the internet.

as well as manually getting my IP & DNS addresses

You want them DHCP-assigned. They probably won't work as static IPs.

when i email to netgear support, tis is wat they reply me:

With regards to your email support enquiry, it seems that you are using a speedtouch home ADSL modem which does not require bridging at all. What you will need is a "cross cable" to connect the modem to the router. Kindly take note that a cross cable is different from the normal ethernet cable which you have.

Once you have connected the modem to your router with a cross cable, run the setup CD on your computer and you should able to connect to the Internet. Your modem will not be able to work with a normal ethernet cable

what is bridging & what is a cross cable or how does it luks like?

what is bridging & what is a cross cable or how does it luks like?

OK, first of all:
"Bridge" is the wrong term. That's a totally diferent device. I think they meant "Router", which is what you have. There's nothing wrong with that.

"Cross cable", or sometimes called "Crossover cable" is an ethernet cable that crosses over, ie. the order of colored wires is different on one end than the other. This may be able to explain it better:
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp
(sorry if it's a bit complex)

You need a crossover cable to connect the ADSL modem to your router's WAN port, and then you need a regular straight-through cable to connect your computer to one of the router's ports.

OK, first of all:
"Bridge" is the wrong term. That's a totally diferent device. I think they meant "Router"...

"Bridging" in the case of a DSL modem refers to a "transparent" mode of operation, where the modem's built-in NAT/security features (if they exist) are disabled, and the attached computer, not the modem, is responsible for the dialing/login.

You need a crossover cable to connect the ADSL modem to your router's WAN port...

A crossover cable is rarely needed for that connection, and I've definitely never had to use a crossover cable with any routers I've connected to SpeedStream modems.

Let's also keep in mind that ladycharmed indicated that pings and HTTP requests (by IP address, using IE) from the computer to the router failed. The modem isn't even in the picture at that point.

ladycharmed, you posted:

Once I manage to get to the configuration page, and click on 'test/apply'

Exactly what configuration page are you referring to?

A crossover cable is rarely needed for that connection, and I've definitely never had to use a crossover cable with any routers I've connected to SpeedStream modems.

At the moment, I've connected my Linksys ADSL Modem to my D-Link Wireless G Router with a crossover cable, and that's exactly what the instructions that came with my Linksys modem said to do.... maybe it's a Linksys-specific thing or something...

Let's also keep in mind that ladycharmed indicated that pings and HTTP requests (by IP address, using IE) from the computer to the router failed. The modem isn't even in the picture at that point.

Good point.

its a good idea to "resync your modem" - i have cable broadband so dont know if this is the same for adsl. When i got my router I had to:

a: go into router config and get it to clone the mac of my modem
b: turn on the router and the modem again at the same time

this seemed to work. seemingly some ISP'S (in my case ntl:telewest uk) have modems which bind themselves to the mac of whatever device they are registered from

This may be well overdue, but I'll post a reply anyway, just in case anyone else runs into this...

I had exactly the same problem with my RP614, trying to connect through a Speedtouch ADSL modem and a Huawei wireless modem.

Those modems wanted to assign an address on the 192.168.1.x subnet to the "internet" port of the RP614. This is the same as the default subnet on the LAN side of the RP614, and obviously this router can't handle that.

I changed subnet on the router LAN side to 192.168.0.x, and all is obviously fine now, since I'm able to post this message :-)

I'm embarrased to admit it took me three weeks to figure this one out...

Man! just return the thing. It dosen't work because it is faulty. I know netgear products and they are very simple and easy to work with so you should not be having that problem.

I am currently trying to install the NETGEAR WGR614 V6 and ive put all of the cables in the order that the CD instructed me to. My power and DSL lights come on my modem but all of the LAN, internet, and power lights turn on automaticly when i plug in my NETGEAR rouder, but i have no internet connection. Even when there are no cables in it the rouder lights stay on, I have tried to press the reset button on the back next to the antennea (with no luck). I pray that someone will please help me with this problem.

Coridially yours,

Kenneth

Kenneth,

Firstly thank you for your post & Welcome to Daniweb!

If you've tried a reset via the button as per instructions, tried turning it off for 30secs or more then restarting and tried a hard reset via the config page then it's probably fautly.

The retailer that you purchased it from should honour your warrantly; which for Netgear I believe is usually 1yr from the original date of purchase.

Regards,

Dazza :cool:

woops i only just noticed this was a thread from 06

okay just new to this forum and know its been a while since this post but thought i would add it anyway, experienced the same kind of problem,i have a dsl connection and got this from the netgear forum
if u r using a cable modem...try to do the following steps

*don use the cd to set up the router
*if u had the cd ...take it out
*open the router interface using the browser
*username :admin ,password: password
*click on basic settings
*u will have...does ur internet connection..require a login...click no
*make sure...get dynamically from the isp has been selected..under internet port ip address
*make sure...get automatically from the isp has been selected..under domain name server
*make sure...use computer's mac address has been selected...under router's mac address
*after checking all these settings...click apply
*once the settings are updated.....do a complete power cycle of ur network
*no light should lit up in the router and the modem
*even if u have a stand by light....turn it off
*if u have any battery back up ....remove it
*unhook the co-axial cable from the modem....and make the modem completely dead
*unplug the power cable of the router
*leave it 20 sec....disturb
*now replug everything back to form
*it will definetly....go online
*as far as i kno if u r doing a proper power cycle...it will definetly work
*if u still facing the same issue......
*connect a cable to the internet port and other end to any ethernet port
*take another cable from the ethernet port to computer
*open the router interface....
*run the set up wizard
*if u still had static/fixed ip deteted....the router has to be replaced
The thing is i did this i cant connect anything wireless have posted this already on the forum.so try this at your own risk.

Hi, Im a newbie in tis networking stuff. Recently I juz bought a netgear G wireless router model wgp614 v.6. I followed thru the steps in the cd connecting my ethernet modem to router & router to pc but Im not able to connect to Internet. Ive done it a few times & still no connection. My ethernet modem lights & router lights are all lighted up correctly as shown in the troubleshooting guide & stable so I was wondering what went wrong. I have no knowledge abt networking & am desperate for help! Because I cant establish internet connection on my desktop, Im stuck & thus unable to configure my wireless connection to my laptop. Kind souls out there.. pls pls help me..:sad: :sad: :sad:

Ok i just finished hours of trying to set up my netgear router after resetting my computer. Leave all your cords pluged in. Modem to router to compter. Now resect your router, there should be a little hole that you can stick a paperclip into. Do this and hold it for about 30 sec this should reset your router. A page will pop up and walk you through getting your signal Have a great day!

I HAVE A NETGEAR WNR 2000 ROUTER WHICH I AM TRYING TO CONNECT TO MY DESKTOP PC. MOST OF THE LIGHTS COME ON EXCEPT THE INTERNET LIGHT. I have the ethernet cord plugged into the modem and into the lan port. The cable from the p.c is in the ethernet port on the modem. Still does not detect an internet connection, however, if i unplug the pc cord from the ethernet port, i can get to the internet. What do I need to do? I have called Netgear support, but they could not help me. Help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.