Hello,

I am trying to set up a PC to PC LAN via a CAT5 crossover cable. PC1, after some difficulties, 'got with the program' and showed a LAN connection. However, PC2 shows the red 'X' in the Network Connection Icon, and displays the message 'Network cable unplugged'. In 'Network Setup Wizard' it tells me that my network adapter is disconnected, but when I check out 'Properties', I am told the device is working properly. If I try the 'Network Setup Wizard' on PC1, when PC2 is switched off, I get the same information as PC2 displays all the time, whether PC1 is switched on and is showing a connection or not. Is this a hardware problem or software?

Both computers are running Windows XP SP2. PC1 says it has a SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, and PC2 has a SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter (not 'Based'). Both Network Adapters are built into the Motherboards. PC2's Motherboard is a K7SOM+ made by ECS.

What I have done so far: Tested the cable with a cable tester, swapped it end for end, tried another cable, swapped it end for end; Checked out the RJ45 LAN socket, and cleaned its pins; Uninstalled the driver then reinstalled it, rolled back to an earlier version of the driver, updated to the most recent driver; Updated Windows; Scanned for viruses, etc, with an updated utility; Tried all the options of 'Media Type'; Tried all the various 'protocols', etc; Disabled the power saving and firewall; Manualy entered different IPAddresses, same Subnet Mask.

The 'Network Diagnostics' scan only gives a 'PASSED' to the 'WAN miniport', the other network adapters listed receive no grade, and the IP address is not listed. I can connect to the internet with either computer with no problem.

I find it curious that PC1 can communicate well enough to PC2 through the so called "Unplugged" cable to establish if PC2 is turned on or not. I am wondering if it may be a hardware/physical connectivity issue between the Network Adapter and the RJ45 LAN socket attached to the edge of the Motherboard on PC2? Does anybody out there happen to know where I might find a detailed schematic diagram of my Motherboard, or information about the SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter? The drawing in the 'Users Guide' does not show enough detail, like the position of the Network Adapter.

I would greatly appreciate help with this vexing issue, as this is the now the third forum I am posting to (the previous two were; Microsoft Windows XP and AMD).

Sincerely,

Chris B.

have you tried to connect new nic card to the pc that is not working correctly? $10 and 5 minutes of work would let you know if it is the onboard nic or not. That's my only suggestion but I don't know alot about networking between pc's I set up LANs thru routers

Hello ctc71,

That's a very good suggestion! I shall pick up a NIC adapter when I next trek into town. Thank's for the advice.

Regards,

Chris B.

Hello,

I have just installed a new NIC adapter to my Motherboard, and Windows discovered it right away and installed the appropriate driver, however, there is no change in the status of PC2, it still says that a network cable is unplugged! I have disabled the onboard network adapter, and done the usual things. But! now there is a difference! PC1, which used to show a network connection when PC2 was turned on, now shows "Network cable unplugged"! If I swap the RJ45 plug back to the onboard network adapter of PC2, then PC1 shows a connection. The new NIC has two LED's on the back, neither of which are alight.

PC2 tells me that the new NIC is working properly, as it tells me the original network adapter is.

So, where am I now?

Sincerely,

Chris B.

The PC im trying to fix is in a network room with internet hubmodule at one end and patch panel and switcher panel at the either end of the room
My so called "unplugged" cable is connected to the suspect nic socket of PC5 into the wall socket going to the patch panel and the patch panel goes to the switchpanel to complete a network but the patch panel connection should be lit up where theres an active connection like the others are green and its not lit its light is grey dead

Im a network student /newb in the same boat please advise me of any solution you find - fredred34

The PC im trying to fix is in a network room with internet hubmodule at one end and patch panel and switcher panel at the either end of the room
My so called "unplugged" cableis connected to the suspect nic socket of PC5 into the wall socket going to the patch panel and the patch panel goes to the switchpanel to complete a network but the patch panel connection should be lit up where theres an active connection like the others are green and its not lit its light is grey dead

Im a network student /newb in the same boat please advise me of any solution you find - fredred34

Hello fredred34, I had to admit defeat with my problem. I think it was hardware related. Instead I bought a USB pc to pc connection device, and that works.

Cheers......................Chris B.

Hello fredred34, I had to admit defeat with my problem. I think it was hardware related. Instead I bought a USB pc to pc connection device, and that works.

Cheers......................Chris B.

Sorry to hear. That you had to give up on it. I was kinda interested in seeing if you could find a solution to the problem. Seemed odd to me. Glad to see that you got around the problem though.

Fixed! - but I must have had a wire loose in my head.
In the beginningIwas told to disconnect every network cable in the room and put it all back together I forgot to do what I did for all the others on 10
At the end of the day I hadnt connected the one pc in the room [which was connected to the hub] to the switch panel with the rest of the pcs on the switch panel.
I had assumed (ytbh?) that no10 was connected properly cos its browser was showing a live page.
Once I had connected no 10 to the switcher and patch panel I had joined the others to the hub and then their lights were going on and were connecting ok

I have had the same problem and spent days scouring Google and trying any suggestion that I could find. Last night I found a post from 2002. It seemed ridiculous but I gave it a shot. PROBLEM SOLVED.

1.) Shut dowm your PC.
2.) Unplug the power cord.
3.) If you have a laptop, remove the battery as well.
4.) Walk away from the problem for at least 30 minutes.
5.) When you return, reconnect battery and power cord.
5.) Start as usual.
6.) If this solves the problem, take 20 minutes and post this to all of those message boards that you didn't find the solution to.

This fix appears to work for any OS/MOBO/NIC.

What causes it? I don't know.

Have a great day! :)

commented: Thank to Arj007's post I solved my 'Network cable unplugged' problem after been wasting two days with no result! +0

ER guys 5 years old thread and the last poster had not respond for 4 years. Please do not revive dead thread. I thought this was a new thread so i came here turns out to be a very old thread

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.