Hi everyone, this is my problem:

I have Windows xp, a router, adsl modem, I can connect to the internet, but I can't find a way to disable the router firewall. My isp gives me dynamic ip's so everytime my router restarts I have a new ip address for my pc (I only have 1 pc connected on the network, this one). What I'm trying to figure out, is how:

Can i keep this network secure (I am using WEP, and it works) but still forward connections to my pc ports instead of router. I want to be able to use p2p but it's very slow now, and my searches aren't working properly, obviously to do with the router firewall.

Currently when I do Ip config it says this:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MYNET
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11b Pen Size Wireless USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-F4-AA-98-B1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 80.46.135.54
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 80.46.135.55
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.74.114.129
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 April 2004 14:54:13
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 28 April 2004 14:55:13

I do not know at all which settings in my router I have to use to configure this. Also, when I try this:

Right click on network NIC properties > TCP/IP Configuration and try to assign ip 10.0.0.3 and 255.0.0.0 for subnet and 10.0.0.2 for gateway, my internet stops working.

Can someone please help me,

My router config is 10.0.0.2 how can I set up my pc to have its own "internal" ip and be able to use p2p ? The options avilable on my router are:

The manual, for the router is available here, I'm stuck, please someone help me out.
Manual:
http://www.digitalamt.co.uk/manualrouter/manual.htm

I need to set the router up so my pc (the only one on the network) is secure (WEP is already activated btw) and it has it's own internal IP, I'm confused about alot of the settings. I'm using Wireless Area Network.

By the way, the router is a connextant chipset, the options I have in the router http://10.0.0.2 are:

Status
Home
ADSL
LAN
PPP

Configuration
WAN
LAN
PPP
NAT
Virtual Server
DNS
Bridge Filtering
Wireless
Save Settings
Reboot without saving

Admin Privilege
WAN Status
ATM Status
TCP Status
Route Table
Learned MAC Table
ADSL Configuration
RIP Configuration
Password Configuration
Admin
User
Misc Configuration
Reset to Factory Default
Diagnostic Test
Code Image Update

Network Code Image Update
Firmware
Boot Code

System Log

(btw isp gives me dynamic ip each time router reboots)

all i need to do is let all ports be forwarded from the router to my pc wich is 10.0.0.3 and/or any other pc on the network, but i can't do this,

I can't use single port forwarding, because p2p apps use alot of ports for incoming and outgoing connections, depending on which hub/users you connect to.

can someone please help me

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

ok, let me clarify,

I want to configure the routers firewall correctly, but i want to use alot of p2p apps,

so which options do i have to set in my router ? the manual of the router is

www.digitalamt.co.uk/manualrouter/manual.htm

can someone please tell me which options I should set to configure my router firewall, to either enable or disable it, and how to make it work properly with windows xp, and what I should do to let p2p apps work properly ?

Hello,

Need a few things here to help you out.

1) How is your network wired? The instructions imply that your DSL link comes in from the wall, and then to a splitter, and then to the router. I think from there, your XP computer is a laptop, and you have a wireless card in place. Please verify.

2) I think you need to FACTORY RESET your router. I have a feeling that a configuration change was made within, and it is best to start over instead of trying to chase possibilities, especially remotely (me here, you there)

3) Your router is setting up an internal network of 10.0.0.0, and the router is using 10.0.0.2 as the "server" end. When you do web administration, and the DHCP server talks to your computer, it is on the 10.0.0.2 network. Your Default Gateway, and your IP address should also be a 10.0.0.x number, not the 80.x number that is "outside" your house. Thus, you have a protocol issue on the XP computer, and we need to fix that.

Let me know about what you find out. Would be happy to go further.

Christian

hi christian, thanks alot for ur reply,

i did a factory reset and my internal ip is 10.0.0.3 however i have not manually assigned any ip's or dns's everything is automatic and my interent is working however, my p2p arent working properly still,

i tried dmz and entered the port of dc++ i use for incoming and my 10.0.0.3 but i still get some problems,

do u have an email address ? do u use msn ? or yahoo ? is there anyway i can speak to you, so we can solve this problem of mine,

ive tried port forwarding, but p2p apps use so many different ports for incoming, its practically random, and i cant find anyway on the virtual server to enter a range of ports that my p2p will possibly use for incoming connections,

someone sed look into bridge filtering but i dont understand.

ill wait for ur reply, just for ur information my email is pro AT digitalamt DOT co DOT uk

could you please email me to, and if we solve my problem, ill post the solution for other users,

Hello,

Need a few things here to help you out.

1) How is your network wired? The instructions imply that your DSL link comes in from the wall, and then to a splitter, and then to the router. I think from there, your XP computer is a laptop, and you have a wireless card in place. Please verify.

2) I think you need to FACTORY RESET your router. I have a feeling that a configuration change was made within, and it is best to start over instead of trying to chase possibilities, especially remotely (me here, you there)

3) Your router is setting up an internal network of 10.0.0.0, and the router is using 10.0.0.2 as the "server" end. When you do web administration, and the DHCP server talks to your computer, it is on the 10.0.0.2 network. Your Default Gateway, and your IP address should also be a 10.0.0.x number, not the 80.x number that is "outside" your house. Thus, you have a protocol issue on the XP computer, and we need to fix that.

Let me know about what you find out. Would be happy to go further.

Christian

i just realised something in the manual it says this, but i need to ask this:

3.3.11 Configuration - Bridge Filtering

The Bridge Filtering configuration page allows the user to set the configuration of IP filtering.

Source MAC: When the bridge filtering is enabled, enter the Source MAC address,select Block and click Add. Then all incoming WAN and LAN Ethernet packets matched with this source MAC address will be filtered out. If the Forward is selected, then the packets will be forwarded to the destination PC.

Destination MAC: When the bridge filtering is enabled, enter the Destination MAC address, select Block and click Add. Then all incoming WAN and LAN Ethernet packets matched with this destination MAC address will be filtered out. If the Forward is selected, then the packets will be forwarded to the destination PC.

Type: Enter the hexadecimal number for the Ethernet type field in Ethernet_II packets. For example, 0800 is for IP protocol.

this has something to do with disabling the firewall ? but how do i find out > i dont no anything about "mac addresses" what would be the source and the destination ? will this allow ip forwarding > meaning firewall becomes disabled ?

any help on this would be greatly appreciated guys

Hello,

I have emailed him personally, and going to work with him in "realtime" to get his situation squared up. We will post answers to this list on what we did. I'll also check back for other comments from other folks.

I think the problem is simple enough... gotta get his WAN setup properly, and his LAN setup properly. Can worry about the port forwarding later.

Christian

UPDATE:

I worked with him about an hour off-web, and was not able to find a solution. As he mentioned, he tried to use the computer in a DMZ, and that did not work for him. I had him try to narrow the NAT down so that one external IP number went directly to another internal IP number, and that did not work for him. We did reset the router, and did confirm settings changed, but no effect.

What he is trying to do is have the router pass all traffic to his XP box. This goes against my common-thought thinking of internal protection. I am not a fan of games and other resources that use RANDOM ports to access the computer -- how can an administrator track that, and provide for it? To me, my network security is far more important than some game, or games.

I do not think he is going to be able to defeat the internal firewall arrangement of the network appliance. If others have any thoughts, please contribute. Perhaps in my personal quest for security and following the rules, I might be missing something.

Now, if this was linux, I know how to tell IPTABLES to take all ports, and fire them off somewhere else. I had to do that for Citrix clients, and they use just one port (in the 600's somewhere), and I had to forward that on with no problems. Or forward on ports to mail servers and things like that. I do not think his network appliance has that type of functionality inside.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Christian

hello can anyone help me public my ip pls..almost 1 week doing this and cant do it right pls help me..you can remote my computer if you like ...

windows xp

problem is..i making game server...my friends cant connect to me online..

thank you so much

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.