Recently I have been experiencing difficulties connecting to the internet via my wireless router. It is a Linksys WRT54G, Whenever I try to connect to the web it says that there is limited or no connectivity due to the inability to renew my IP address. I have been using this router since December of last year and up until now I have had no problems, any thoughts on what I should do?:?:

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

first go here and get the newest firmware update.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859837401&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3740137314B268&displaypage=download

after that go to control panel - network connections - right click on your wirelss connection and click properties.now from there in the box click internet protocol then properties then make sure that obtain IP adress automatically is checked.

you can also right click on your wireless connection and click repair.

also go into your router config open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 and when asked for pass unless you changed it which i suggest you do type admin in both.then make sure on the first page it is set to auto configuration DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

I tried the repair option. As for the firmware update..is it free?

yes any updates to hardware is always free.

i have the same router. have never had any problems. I will post screenshots of the relevant sections here soon

This is my first comment on this site(I think), but I figure I'll jump right in.

Ditto what was said/suggested above, but I'm curious, do you have any hosts on the network? If so, are they able to receive an address from the DHCP server? If other clients are working fine then it would possibly rule out an issue with the dhcp server on the router.

Even though it doesn't solve the actual issue. Have you tried statically assigning the IP, netmask, gateway and dns servers? Is that what you're doing now?(since you're obviously connected)

Good to see another offering help.

Jump right in chrisdfer the more opinions and help the sooner we can help.not all suggestions work but the more the better to solve the issue.

hi, i have similar problems to the person who started this.i can connect the internet on one computer and not the other. i have tried the stuff previous to this post to no avail. i am using windows xp home sp2 (both) and a wireless modem router (d link dsl-g624t) with a wireless adapter (d link dwl g122). i have spoken to my dads friend about this while on the computer and he said something about DNS and "ghosted". i used ipconfig and it gives me the following details:

Physical address: 00-17-98-A-BD-D0-9B
DHCP enabled: yes
Autoconfiguration enabled: yes
IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
IP address: fe80::217:98ff:febd:b09b%5
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP server: 192.168.1.1
DNS servers: 192.168.1.1 fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

i haves used flushdns release and renew
lots of information but thats usually helpful.

please help me

thanks

right click on the connection in windows and choose reapair. see if that helps. Check you are set up to automactically find DNS and DHCP servers. Make sure no other DNS or DHCP servers are running and interfeing.

I downloaded the firmware update .bin file. What am I supposed to do with it?

I downloaded the firmware update .bin file. What am I supposed to do with it?

open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 then it will ask you for a logon type admin in both.might want to change that.now once the window opens you are in your routers setup.go to administration and below it you will see firmware update click it direct it to where you down loaded the .bin and let it do it's thing.

While in there click setup make sure it is set to automatic config DHCP

then click wireless and set it to mixed

in the wireless is where you can set up WEP or WAP so no one can access your network.

in the administration is where you change your pass word so no one can access your router.

while in there notice on the right it gives descriptions of what each thing is for.

play around in there and get familiar with it if you do anything you can always reset to factory defaults.if you lock yourself out there is a reset button on the back of the router.plus you can always post back here.

I think kenny has a problem with his winsock.

Download this and run it.

My network is a secure one can I just keep the password I already have for logging on to my network?

You talking about the Key you use to connect?

If so yes i was refering to the log on to access the settings on your router if it is the default Admin i would change it.if someone around you thought about seeing they could go into your router and change the settings.

thanks for the help, i can now connect, i think it was the winsock thing did the trick, thanks everyone for trying.

The login name is not admin. On my router its blank?, theres just a password?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.