I have a compaq presario m2031ap that used to be able to connect wireless at home but now, since i've reformatted it, it won't connect. I'm totally new to this stuff so i apologise for any words that aren't exactly correct. The presario (laptop) usually connects to the net via a modem and D-link (both connected - wired) to a desktop computer downstairs. 2 other laptops in teh house (a mac and a toshiba) connect without issues it's just this one that is giving me grief. I've ran ipconfig and it says that both the ethernet adapter wireless network connection (broadcom 802.11 b/g wlan) and ethernet adapter local area connection (realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet nic) is disconnected. i've ran ping 127.0.0.1 (i don't know if this is relevant) but all 4 packets sent were received. i don't understand what's going on if 2 laptops can connect wireless but one can't. i tried it at a mate's house and it connected fine so i'm guessing something might be wrong with the network itself? but then why is it saying that the media is disconnected? as you can tell.. i have no real idea what i'm doing. if anyone could offer some help, i'd really appreciate it. thanks heaps!

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I have a compaq presario m2031ap that used to be able to connect wireless at home but now, since i've reformatted it, it won't connect. I'm totally new to this stuff so i apologise for any words that aren't exactly correct. The presario (laptop) usually connects to the net via a modem and D-link (both connected - wired) to a desktop computer downstairs. 2 other laptops in teh house (a mac and a toshiba) connect without issues it's just this one that is giving me grief. I've ran ipconfig and it says that both the ethernet adapter wireless network connection (broadcom 802.11 b/g wlan) and ethernet adapter local area connection (realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet nic) is disconnected. i've ran ping 127.0.0.1 (i don't know if this is relevant) but all 4 packets sent were received. i don't understand what's going on if 2 laptops can connect wireless but one can't. i tried it at a mate's house and it connected fine so i'm guessing something might be wrong with the network itself? but then why is it saying that the media is disconnected? as you can tell.. i have no real idea what i'm doing. if anyone could offer some help, i'd really appreciate it. thanks heaps!

First of all, you posted in the wrong forum.. but don't worry, a moderator will get your post moved to the appropriate forum.

As for your problem: You say the laptop connected fine before it was formated, correct? From what you've described, I would guess that your home network has a WEP-is a secure network that requires a 'password' to allow computers to connect wirelessly. Go to Start- control panel - network connections - and right click the wireless connection and click 'view available wireless networks'. Your home network should be listed. Click connect, and it will prompt you for a 'password' to access the network.

This is assuming that you are running Windows XP. If this is not the case then place say so.

The 127.0.0.1 is a localhost ping that tests your NIC btw. I cannot think of another problem that would cause symptoms that you have encountered.. If my previous solution does not work, then please give me more information (os, NIC manufacturer and model number, etc.)

First of all, you posted in the wrong forum.. but don't worry, a moderator will get your post moved to the appropriate forum.

As for your problem: You say the laptop connected fine before it was formated, correct? From what you've described, I would guess that your home network has a WEP-is a secure network that requires a 'password' to allow computers to connect wirelessly. Go to Start- control panel - network connections - and right click the wireless connection and click 'view available wireless networks'. Your home network should be listed. Click connect, and it will prompt you for a 'password' to access the network.

This is assuming that you are running Windows XP. If this is not the case then place say so.

Sorry! I didn't realise where I was.. I don't usually go on forums but I've been trying to fix the connection for days so I thought I may as well seek online help.

You were correct with windows xp and the wep-code thing. However everytime I refresh the window that views all the wireless networks available it doesn't come up with any even though the wireless is on the laptop. It used to pick up just fine.. sometimes it would say that it had limited connectivity but now it won't even pick up anything.

hmm.. Are you far from your wireless router? If it is not shown in the available wireless networks, then either a.) it is out of range or b.) the wireless router is not working properly.

I would suggest unplugging the wireless router and letting it sit for 5 minutes or so, this can sometimes fix the problem.. Also, try moving closer to the router..

The 127.0.0.1 is a localhost ping that tests your NIC btw. I cannot think of another problem that would cause symptoms that you have encountered.. If my previous solution does not work, then please give me more information (os, NIC manufacturer and model number, etc.)

I dont know if this is correct but the 2 network cards that say they are disconnected are:
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC and
Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN

I''m really sorry if that doesn't help (I'm not quite sure what a NIC is?)

hmm.. Are you far from your wireless router? If it is not shown in the available wireless networks, then either a.) it is out of range or b.) the wireless router is not working properly.

I would suggest unplugging the wireless router and letting it sit for 5 minutes or so, this can sometimes fix the problem.. Also, try moving closer to the router..

I've tried that. I even restarted and disconnected the modem and router this morning and disabled the wep thing... the 2 other laptops in the house are connected fine but the Presario won't and it's right next to the computer that's connected (wired) to the router & modem.

Sorry, NIC= Network Interface Card

The broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN is the NIC that is attempting to connect to your wireless router. Oh, I forgot to ask if you updated your computer via Microsoft Update.. Also, be sure that the drivers on the NIC are up-to-date.. I would probably connect the laptop using ethernet, and update it before trying to use the wireless features..

... the 2 other laptops in the house are connected fine but the Presario won't and it's right next to the computer that's connected (wired) to the router & modem.

The laptop is attempting to connect to the wireless router, not the connected computer. That is interesting that the other two laptops are connected fine:-/ .. I would think it to be a driver problem.. try updating the laptop via ethernet, and see what happens.

ok.. i'll try that. thanks heaps! I'll let you know how it goes

ok. Looking forward to hearing how it goes :)

After several updates and restarts it connected to the network. It had limited to no connectivity with webpages not being able to load but I read somewhere that it was because there wasn't a space for it on the router yet and you had to put the mac address into the router (if that makes sense)? So I did that (i think it's a called a static ip???) anyway it's put into my router as a static ip and now it's getting full coverage. Do you know if this is correct or if there is a better/proper way around this and if having a static ip will affect being able to pick up and join other networks say at uni or at a friends house wirelessly (as opposed to having a dynamic ip... if static ip means that the ip address is always the same on the network???) If not, that's ok. Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it. Thank you!

I'm glad that worked.

As for your dynamic/static ip problem, routers use private ip addresses to communicate with computers on the network instead of the CAM table (MAC addresses) that the switch uses. Basically, your router assigns ip addresses to your computer.. if it is static, then your computer will get the same private ip address everytime.

What does this mean to you? Nothing, static/dynamic ip addresses will not effect your current network nor should it effect your computer if you take it elsewhere. The static ip is set up via your router, so it does not affect you at all..

Ok. Thanks for that. :)

i have a similar problem....When I was cleaning off programs in the control panel I'm sure I removed something that should NOT have been removed. (yes, I learned my lesson) I ran cmd and ipconfig/all to locate problem and it told me media was disconnected and netBIOS was disabled. Can anyone help? By the way other computers are working in the house so I do know it's something I removed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.