Hi
I would like to share the internet connection in my small office. Let me explain.

Existing Configuration:
In the past I have used the following configuration.

internet connection ( DSL )
|
|
Switch ----->Computer ( xp pro )
| \
| \
| Computer ( XP pro )
|
Computer ( xp pro )

I guess the above method is called Internet connection sharing. The drawback in that method is the lack of centralized control of internet connection ( centralized management may be possible but i am not aware).

I have decided to go for domain controller for many reasons in my office. So, I have installed the windows2003 domain controller in a machine. That win2003 domain controller machine having two network card. Now, I want to share this connection with all the other machines in the LAN ( xp professional installed ). Let me give you the diagram.

Internet Connection (DSL)
|
|
|
NIC - 1
\
\
Win2003 Enterprise edition - Domain Controller
/
/
NIC - 2
|
|
Switch ( 8 port )
| \
| \
| Xp Professional
|
XP professional

I have connected as per the above diagram. In the network card that is connected with inernet I have given the following:
Ip Address: 192.168.1.3
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

I collected some preferred dns and alternate dns from ISP. And entered the same.

In the other network card, I manually entered a different Ip address like 192.168.1.4 and left the gateway and dns to empty. I given the ip address manually to other computers.

Now my problem is :
I am able to access internet in my domain controller machine. But other computers unable to connect with internet. What is the mistake I have done above.
I am not a network engineer. I am a developer, just started reading about network. I request you to help me to sort this out.
One guys told me that You cant share internet with a machine that is also having domain controller. I have referred Microsoft that suggest ICS. It seems ICS is a pre-defined thing. I like to get my hands dirty, so that I can learn.
Thanks in advance.
Velan.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

well, the nic that's connected to the internet shouldn't have a preassgined ip address. but the problem is that you need the server configured as a dns and dchp server. DNS is so the computers can access the internet by typing a domain name in a browser. the dhcp service is used to assign ip addresses. you also need to have your server configured as a router.
question:
are your computers on a domain, or a workgroup?

well, the nic that's connected to the internet shouldn't have a preassgined ip address. but the problem is that you need the server configured as a dns and dchp server. DNS is so the computers can access the internet by typing a domain name in a browser. the dhcp service is used to assign ip addresses. you also need to have your server configured as a router.
question:
are your computers on a domain, or a workgroup?

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
My computer is configured as a domain. DSN also configured.
Now, Do you want me to enable DHCP in my domain controller and let the IP address of both that NIC card ( in domain controller server ) dynamically. Can you please tell me that in detail.

Thanks in advance
Best Wishes
Velan

no, the nic in the server is assigned statically, so you do that manually by right-clicking network places, properties, right-click local area connection 2, properties, tcp/ip, properties, then you can assign an ip address, or you can do it in the dhcp server setup, you can go through the wizard in the manage my server menu.

make sure you have a scope, which is a pool of addresses that can be assigned to your computers.

i assume you have a domain, so did you make sure your xp computers were connected to the domain?

no, the nic in the server is assigned statically, so you do that manually by right-clicking network places, properties, right-click local area connection 2, properties, tcp/ip, properties, then you can assign an ip address, or you can do it in the dhcp server setup, you can go through the wizard in the manage my server menu.

make sure you have a scope, which is a pool of addresses that can be assigned to your computers.

i assume you have a domain, so did you make sure your xp computers were connected to the domain?

Hi
My xp computers are connected with the domain. There is no problem in that.
Now, I have configured both of my network card to get the IP address automatically. Is that enough or should I deploy or configure the DHCP server. If I need to configure my DHCP server, May I know where to configure that. ( Apologize for being dump, I am a newbie to network stuff, Today is the first day I have ever created a user and group account :) ). I dont find the manage my server.

Thank you

the icon in the start menu that say "manage my server" or something like that. you'll have to add the role of dhcp.

You should give your server a static IP and configure the workstations with DHCP.

by the way, you're not dumb.

Hello there, i have just read the post above and id like some info also if i may :)

my current setup :
modem/router
|
3 com switch
|\
| \
| --Server (win2k3)
various os', 8 pc's all running windows

what i would like to do is to have the server to issue the ip addresses, and grant or deny webpages...
i ahve tried vairous attempts to do this to no avail, i am using open DNS, and it is not that user friendly, and sumwhat slow.

would i need 2 nic's in the server?
or what else could i do?

Thanks
Ash

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.