So I've recently become employed at an orginization who does not have their computers networked together. I was shocked, at first, but then they explained that hard wiring a network in this building would be expensive. Naturally I suggested wireless, after all my cell phone (and everyone elses) works anywhere in the building, even in the basement. But this organization was told by an outside IT company that a wireless network would not work in this building because of the enormous amount of concrete. This is one of a handful of buildings built by a well known architect named Louis Kahn. All I would like to know is if a wireless system will work in a building made almost entirely out of concrete, and if not, why? - especially since cell phones do. Information and assistance are appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Cell phone signals are a lot different the wireless signals. Wireless routers don't usually have a powerfull range, so the signal won't make it passed a few walls. On the other hand, there are cell phone towers that use a lower frequency that can get pretty far.

One solution is, your company could set up wireless access points in each floor.

There are also wireless repeaters and range extenders that pick up wireless signals and extend the range...I haven't personally used them yet, but I know they are out there...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.