I recently setup a wireless network using Linksys WRT54G router, two notebooks and a desktop. The desktop and one notebook are running fine. Great connectivity, internet acess, etc. My Dell Latitude D800, however can connect to the network, but cannot gain internet or other network login access.

I have followed steps detailed in this thread:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread23104.html

Originally I could not even connect to the network using this notebook, but have managed to reset the TCP/IP settings to do so.

Any ideas on what may be going on?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

have you tried changing the router settings? do you use WPA or WEP?

how can i check/know?

on your router, are you using any type of security? if you go to the settings you can check on the wireless settings.

yes, there is security. i'm lowering it now for compatibility.

well, lowering the security made it so i couldn't connect.... so that didn't work.

that is I changed WPA to WEP.

I have the WRT54G-C (compact)

Just to note, older laptops and PDAs have wireless "b" whereas newer ones have "g". You need to set the wireless mode to "mixed" to let these machines connect

Wireless Mode is Mixed.

Both laptops have the same IP address when looking at the network settings. Is this right?

problem solved through use of Linksys Forum FAQ. Basically the IP address should not match the router.

yes, most of the time is sensible to set up the router to automatically assign IP adresses via DHCP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.