I have a Lan with a Gateway desktop running XP Home wired RJ-45 through a Linksys 5-port hub (about 5 years old), and just bought an HP Pavillion notebook running Vista Home Premium. I plugged it into the hub, and am having problems with "IPv6 connectivity limited". The Vista notebook can see the hub, and can see the XP computer, but can only connect to the internet through the network; it cannot see the shared drives and files on the XP desktop. The XP desktop can see the Vista notebook on the map, but cannot see the shared drive or folders either. Everything on both computers is shared.

Any ideas? Is the old hub not compatible with Vista/IPv6? Is there something missing in my XP?

Help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

...The Vista notebook can see the hub, and can see the XP computer, but can only connect to the internet through the network;....

Help.

Not quite sure what you mean "but can only connect to the internet through the network".

Anyway, try unticking Microsoft TCP/IP v6 in your Local Area Connections properties; but ensure that Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is ticked.

or you can look at the properties of Microsoft TCP/IP v6 and report back.

Not quite sure what you mean "but can only connect to the internet through the network".

Anyway, try unticking Microsoft TCP/IP v6 in your Local Area Connections properties; but ensure that Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is ticked.

or you can look at the properties of Microsoft TCP/IP v6 and report back.

"Not quite sure what you mean "but can only connect to the internet through the network".

or you can look at the properties of Microsoft TCP/IP v6 and report back."

What I meant to say is thaat the Vista notebook can see the XP desktop in the network map, but can only connect to the internet through it, and cannot see the shared drives there. The network is working as an internet gateway, but not as a file-sharing LAN. The mssg, "IPv6 connectivity limited" seems to be a problem in letting the Vista computer see the whole network.

"try unticking Microsoft TCP/IP v6 in your Local Area Connections properties; but ensure that Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is ticked."
(on which computer? both?)

Both computers should use the same TCP/IP protocol given that the router is several years old. Theer are various versions and classes of TCP/IP and the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) option in your Network Card settings on all PCs on the LAN should be applied. I think this will eliminate one of your problems (the IPv6 connectivity limited report).

I still don't fully understand your internet problem on the Vista PC because you haven't explicitly stated what CANNOT be done.

I'm always flummoxed by the variabilities of Windows networking. You've got to get workgroups right (I think) and for me this area is a total can of worms that I hope others will advise you on.

i think first u should try to connect the two devices with a cross cable to dissuspect the hub or the connectivity problem then u need to apply a workgroup between the both computers,, after that be sure that both of the computers network properites are configured right and that the file and printing sharing is active also tcp/ip ,, and check te security polices ,, if the internet is working through that ,, so no nead to use a cross cable to test just start from the second step till the end ,, hope it works

I am having a similar issue.. but i cannot get to the "network Properties" in Vista... i get a bunch of dead end icons... please tell me how to get to the properties for a network.. on VISTA. the right click thing.. but where and on what? cannot find via control panel. it seems so simple.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.