:?: My Norton Internet Security sub ran out recently so I renewed it via Norton's website. I was urged to go for Norton 360 and downloaded it and installed it without much difficulty.

Since then, my laptop has become impossibly slow. The longer I leave it on, the slower it becomes, and I note that CPU usage is frequently 100% for long spells - I can go away and make a cup of tea, feed the cat and water my plants, and still I haven't moved on to the next page ..... I keep getting messages that I have run out of page memory and that the page file will be increased. I performed a little experiment yesterday - I switched on, logged on, and then went out for the day. 12 hours after switching on, my Page File usage was up to 1.7 GB although there had been no activity from me!

I note that just writing this email has sent my CPU usage to 100%, with a 555MB Page File - but I've only been switched on for approx. 1 hour - in a few hours, my page file would be at least 1 GB ...:'(

I've googled Norton 360 and I see I am not the only one with this problem. Has any Daniwebber come across it, and if so, have you found a solution which involves keeping Norton 360? Most of those experiencing problems seem to have ditched it for AVG or other freeware ...

I do think that Norton 360 is hideously greedy for systems resources, and yet it has fewer features than Norton Internet Security - no spam blocker, for a start, although that used to be standard. It is with great fondness and nostalgia that I remember that small but perfectly formed initial program, Peter Norton's debut, the Norton Commander ... it was mostly downhill from there ....

Hope you Daniwebbers can come up with some useful suggestions - even if it means ditching Norton 360 ...

Ghislaine

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

well i never really use norton, but it sure is using high cpu time,
i my self using comodo softwares to protect my pc (antivirus, bho, firewall), they are freeware and quite strong, and don't eat resources.
i've been using them for several months and every times suspicious activity happenning, they give me warning and option to clean it.

just for testing, you just download these three softwares in www.comodo.com and install it in your pc, but after disabling your norton (don't uninstall it yet). see if you have improvement in performance and the pc protection is still high.

for paid av, my best bet is nod32.

get away from norton, as far as you can. it's a real gas guzzler

i my self using comodo softwares to protect my pc (antivirus, bho, firewall), they are freeware and quite strong, and don't eat resources.
i've been using them for several months and every times suspicious activity happenning, they give me warning and option to clean it.

just for testing, you just download these three softwares in www.comodo.com and install it in your pc, but after disabling your norton (don't uninstall it yet). see if you have improvement in performance and the pc protection is still high.

Thanks, reedone816, I'll check out those freebies - anything has got to be better than the current situation.

first of all the norton security uses 3 or 4 processes in the task manager which is the major problem that i feel all users are having but they are not aware of it
norton is a not a succesfull anti virus you can go for other anti viruses which are much easy to update and operate.............

Sorry, I should have replied ages ago. Thanks for your suggestion. At the time, I was stuck with a two-year subscription to Norton so I had to stick with it. I downloaded a specific update and problem sorted itself out - luckily, because I was climbing the walls!

Thanks for having taken the trouble to respond to my problem, much appreciated.

Ghislaine.

get away from norton, as far as you can. it's a real gas guzzler

Sorry, I should have replied ages ago. Thanks for your suggestion. I totally agree with you, but at the time, I was stuck with a two-year subscription to Norton so I had to stick with it. I downloaded a specific update and problem sorted itself out - luckily, because I was climbing the walls! I've downloaded AVAST for my husband's laptop - it's free, it works, and it isn't too greedy, so I sujspect that is what I shall turn to when my Norton sub ends. Pity, because I well remember the early days of Norton, when the Norton Commander was a magical piece of s/w in a world where files had to be arranged/sorted using DOS .....

Ghislaine.

first of all the norton security uses 3 or 4 processes in the task manager which is the major problem that i feel all users are having but they are not aware of it
norton is a not a succesfull anti virus you can go for other anti viruses which are much easy to update and operate.............

Sorry, I should have replied ages ago. Thanks for your suggestion. I totally agree with you, but at the time, I was stuck with a two-year subscription to Norton so I had to stick with it. I downloaded a specific update and problem sorted itself out - luckily, because I was climbing the walls! I've downloaded AVAST for my husband's laptop - it's free, it works, and it isn't too greedy, so I sujspect that is what I shall turn to when my Norton sub ends. Pity, because I well remember the early days of Norton, when the Norton Commander was a magical piece of s/w in a world where files had to be arranged/sorted using DOS .....

Ghislaine.

likewise - norton may be good at what it does, but it sucks up so many cpu cycles that it doesn't let you do what you want to do, which is use your computer...

if you want commercial software, mcafee or eset nod are somewhat lighter and much lighter (respectively)

yes i agree, get away from norton 360...

yes i agree, there are more better than norton 360

Norton 360 v3 seems to be very light. Caught more Trojans than Kaspersky. Recently Kaspersky seems be putting more effort on catching illegal keys than viruses or Trojans.

Maybe it is now, but back 2 years ago when this thread started, it wasn't :)

i wud watch out with renewing norton online
now that uv renewed online when ur subscription is up they will automatically renew again in a yr without you even knowing, Unless you turn off the setting

Hi Ghislaine,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Contrary to what other users may say about Norton 360 version 3, under normal operation, and assuming you have enough resources available, Norton 360 version 3.X uses very little system resources and should not slow down your PC. Also, Norton 360 contains the same features of Norton Internet Security, and also includes a Backup & Restore function and system optimization features.

Since you mention that you had Norton Internet Security installed and then installed Norton 360, there is the possibility that your installation of Norton 360 is corrupted.

To resolve this issue, please carefully follow the instructions below to properly remove and reinstall Norton 360.

1. Make note of your current Activation Key.

2. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

3. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

4. Click on the link below and then click on the "Download" button under Norton 360 to download the latest installer.

Download the latest installer for Norton 360

5. If prompted during the installation, enter the Activation Key you saved in Step # 1.

6. When the installation is complete, launch Norton 360, mouse-over the "PC Security" icon and choose "Check for Updates" to ensure you get the latest updates applied.

7. After the updates have been installed, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble again and choose "Run Scans" and then choose "Comprehensive Scan" to check your computer for infections.

Please let me know if this resolves the slowness issue you are experiencing.

Thank you,
Mike

:?: My Norton Internet Security sub ran out recently so I renewed it via Norton's website. I was urged to go for Norton 360 and downloaded it and installed it without much difficulty.

Since then, my laptop has become impossibly slow. The longer I leave it on, the slower it becomes, and I note that CPU usage is frequently 100% for long spells - I can go away and make a cup of tea, feed the cat and water my plants, and still I haven't moved on to the next page ..... I keep getting messages that I have run out of page memory and that the page file will be increased. I performed a little experiment yesterday - I switched on, logged on, and then went out for the day. 12 hours after switching on, my Page File usage was up to 1.7 GB although there had been no activity from me!

I note that just writing this email has sent my CPU usage to 100%, with a 555MB Page File - but I've only been switched on for approx. 1 hour - in a few hours, my page file would be at least 1 GB ...:'(

I've googled Norton 360 and I see I am not the only one with this problem. Has any Daniwebber come across it, and if so, have you found a solution which involves keeping Norton 360? Most of those experiencing problems seem to have ditched it for AVG or other freeware ...

I do think that Norton 360 is hideously greedy for systems resources, and yet it has fewer features than Norton Internet Security - no spam blocker, for a start, although that used to be standard. It is with great fondness and nostalgia that I remember that small but perfectly formed initial program, Peter Norton's debut, the Norton Commander ... it was mostly downhill from there ....

Hope you Daniwebbers can come up with some useful suggestions - even if it means ditching Norton 360 ...

Ghislaine

Norton 360 sucks. I just emailed themt that I won't pay my credit card for their alledged :service". On to AVAST me hardies.

Norton, Ralph Kramden's buddy, right?

o...m...g...
can't believe a 2 year old thread has been resurrected.

sounds like norton is attempting damage control.

hey, norton, your av product reeked for years.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.