I've heard I need to check the power supply that graphic cards need to run on. I'm trying to hook my TV to my computer. I never see power requirements in specs. when looking to purchase a card online. How do I look for this? Will I need to ADD the card or REPLACE the existing one. I hear you need more than 1 card to get the most out of TV to computer. Also any thoughts on a card that works w/out spending large $$$. I'm going to add a card with HDMI port. I'll buy the TV once that's done. So I should have a lot of options.--Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi tacyos,

The power supply requirements are listed at newegg under specs, I'm not sure where you are wanting to buy it at.

You may not need to replace your power supply. If you can find out what your current power supply is and how many watts it is, usually around 500 watts is good enough depending on what else your computer is running. And you want to make sure you have the needed connections on the power supply unit.

What card you get is going to depend on what size tv you are going to be running it to and what you are going to be doing with it, such as games, movies, etc.. I think you should be able to get a card under a hundred dollars if you aren't playing games and the tv isn't over 30 inches.

It just all depends really. If you have more questions please let us know.

Why would the size of the TV matter? I would think it would be whether or not the video card fits the mobo. The card itself should give me the power supply requirements, not the TV size. Also Newegg does not have the power supply specs for most card I've seen. They have what's given to them, I suppose. I know folks that have 50" Plasmas hooked up to their computers, spending under $30 for a graphics card, with awesome resolution. --Thanks for your input.

I know folks that have 50" Plasmas hooked up to their computers, spending under $30 for a graphics card, with awesome resolution. --Thanks for your input.

SO, it looks to me like you already got the answer to you question ,good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.