To start, I am a complete noob at computers so Im not quite sure what Im doing. Recently while playing games my computer screen faded to black, followed a few seconds later with my entire computer dying. I tried everything to turn it back on but had no luck whatsoever. I decided that the best course of action would be to get a new power supply, so I went out and replaced the old 600 watt power supply with a 550 Thremaltake gaming power supply. I installed the psu with no problems and when i turned on the computer everything seemed to run ok, but there is no signal on the monitor. The monitor power supply is ok, i checked it and there is a yellow light and it says there is no signal. I made sure to plug in the special pci exspress connector to the video card and so I am very sure that everything has power, so I dont know what the problem could be, but heres what I was thinking.

1. Because I got a 550 psu insted of 600, there is not enough power BUT the computer is atleast 3 years old and the video card is not brand new, so I was thinking that would be ok.

2. Something happened to the monitor when the computer died as well and I should just get a new monitor.

3. Something happened to the video card when the psu died and so now I need to replace that.

Because this computer was built by someone else a few years ago I am not quite sure what the monitor or graphics card is, currently there is 2 hard drives, a motherboard, dvd drive, graphics card, and a thermaltake water cooling device attached to the PSU, does anybody have any suggestions of what I should do.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Unplug it from the mains and remove the bios battery for about a minute. It is a round silver object with CR2032 stamped on it.

You will have to set the time and date and boot order correctly after this if your machine works.

Unplug it from the mains and remove the bios battery for about a minute. It is a round silver object with CR2032 stamped on it.

You will have to set the time and date and boot order correctly after this if your machine works.

Thankyou very much Rik

No problem at all! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.