I am planning to purchase a laptop.I am basically want to use it for programming so I don't want a fancy graphic card or any other such extra feature.
I live in India where a laptop that sells for 700 $ in US is sold for 1000 $.I want to keep my budget within 1k $. I found a laptop Toshiba Qosmio T851/D8CR while searching online but didn't find decent reviews for it.
Here are its features :-

15.6-inch clear superview LED-backlit display with resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels
Powered by a 2.3GHz Core i5-2410M processor
Built-in a SpursEngine image processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card with 1GB of memory
Gigabit Ethernet
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity
Based on Synergistic Processing Element (SPE) quad-core
Able to convert 2D to 3D real-time
Harman Kardon speakers
8GB of DDR3 RAM
750GB hard drive
Blu-ray drive
TV Tuner
USB 3.0
HDMI port
Utilized 3D Window technology
Runs on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit OS
3D glasses free Laptop
3D images without dedicated glasses if the separate images are properly delivered to each eye
3D and 2D content in separate windows in a single screen

Is this configuration good? Are there any known issues with this laptop or Toshiba laptops in general ? How does it compare to a Dell laptop of a similar configuration?
And would you advise me to buy it or suggest some other laptop ?
All inputs will be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

.I am basically want to use it for programming so I don't want a fancy graphic card or any other such extra feature.

cant comment on the comparison between it and a Dell ,but can say we have a Toshiba laptop here ,well over 2 yrs old and used daily and is still running the original load of windows vista ,not a problem ,and i fix/fixed a lot of Dell Computer in the past 12 yrs ,and a lot of Toshiba/Acers \Compaqus ,HP.s too, they all have there issues in my opinion
also you say you don't need a lot of bells and whistles ,but then you pick a Qosmio,with a lot of bells and whistles

cant comment on the comparison between it and a Dell ,but can say we have a Toshiba laptop here ,well over 2 yrs old and used daily and is still running the original load of windows vista ,not a problem ,and i fix/fixed a lot of Dell Computer in the past 12 yrs ,and a lot of Toshiba/Acers \Compaqus ,HP.s too, they all have there issues in my opinion
also you say you don't need a lot of bells and whistles ,but then you pick a Qosmio,with a lot of bells and whistles

Well I thought I made it quite clear that I have no idea about laptop that would fulfil my exact requirement(programming).
I am looking for i5 processor with 4 GB+ RAM ,rest I don't care.
Also I have already asked whether you think these specifications are excessive or not or whether they won't suffice?

Thanks.Hope you have understood my question now...

Well I thought I made it quite clear that I have no idea about laptop that would fulfil my exact requirement(programming).
I am looking for i5 processor with 4 GB+ RAM ,rest I don't care.
Also I have already asked whether you think these specifications are excessive or not or whether they won't suffice?

Thanks.Hope you have understood my question now...

And I quoted my budget as well -700$.So low price is definitely a criteria for me as in India every imported item costs at least 30 % more.

you also might want to have a look here at the top 10 laptops ,Toshiba doesn't even make the list ,but they are my choice just the same .mind you all the ones in the list have plenty of models that would not make a top 20 list .
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369981,00.asp

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.