I have a gateway DS Solo 9550 Ls Laptop and my power supply seems to be broken, it wiggles around in there and will not even turn my computer on, my batt. is obviously dead. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to pay someone to do it? Is it the actual power supply or the motherboard?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It is not possible to say for sure if it is the connector on the motherboard or the connector on the powersupply without testing them. The only way to fix the motherboard (if it is broken) is to re-solder the connection (rather tricky if you arent good at this). Or you could purchase a new motherboard as well to fix it. I would start with the power supply first though, as this is easier to see if a new one fixes the problem or not.

Good luck :)

Just pay some one to do it. If your not sure what your doing, you could damage your laptop and even damage yourself.

Hey, I have a gateway 1450 and I've had the same problem...3 times. I've discovered that a number of gateway's notebooks' power ports have a propensity toward breaking off. If you have a working warrenty, Gateway will fix it if you mail it in to them, but even with warrenty, there is about a $250 cost. Expect this to happen repeatedly with your computer. I've had mine 4 years and I am very careful with it, never treating it roughly, obviously. Gateway denies that this is a problem with THEIR design of the notebook and that multiple customers have trouble with it. If you can find someone to fix it locally, I would go ahead and do that if I were you. Usually PC docs will fix it for a much more affordable cost. But keep in touch, I'm gathering names of people who have had the same problem..if all of us get together, we can demand that gateway come up with a solution to the problem..so we don't have to put out $250 bucks every time it breaks. I almost never move my laptop anymore..to prevent breaking, but it happens anyway. Anyhoo, good luck!

I have a gateway DS Solo 9550 Ls Laptop and my power supply seems to be broken, it wiggles around in there and will not even turn my computer on, my batt. is obviously dead. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to pay someone to do it? Is it the actual power supply or the motherboard?

I am having problem with the connection. My power supply went dead and bought another power supply from Best Buy. Now I have to wiggle the connection to work. However, every 15 to 30 minutes I have to keep wiggling the connection else I lose the connection.

M. Qadri

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.