i appologize if this is in the wrong section. Lately my computer fan has been turning on and when it runs it is very loud. I let my copmuter sit over night and i turned it on and within 10 minutes the fan came on and is loud as can be. How do i stop this? i dont think it would be overheating that fast. maybe it need a dusting inside? or something else? please help...thanks

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Have you tried taking it out and cleaning off the dust? Blow it out with some air too.

Clean it!

I use a soft bristled, clean paint brush to dust off, then a plunger type camp mattress inflater to blow the dust out of the case. If the fan is still loud, try carefully peeling back the sticker, and applying a single drop of sewing machine oil to the tiny hole you'll see above the spindle. If that doesn't help - replace the fan as a matter of urgency.

I've had the same problem a couple of months ago.. a couple of bangs against the computer solved it though. I'll try cleaning my computer as well.

If that happens, it probably indicates a fan that's working its way forward on the bearing. If that's the case, the fan should be replaced anyway, because it'll fail sooner rather than later.

What are your computer stats? and if you know what motherboard you have, then the motherboard manufacturer ususally has a untility that lets you monitor system values like cpu temperature, fan speed, voltage etc.

commented: Great answer! +3

I've had the same problem a couple of months ago.. a couple of bangs against the computer solved it though. I'll try cleaning my computer as well.

If you're 'banging' your computer while it's running, you are probably damaging the platters in your hard drive!

i appologize if this is in the wrong section. Lately my computer fan has been turning on and when it runs it is very loud. I let my copmuter sit over night and i turned it on and within 10 minutes the fan came on and is loud as can be. How do i stop this? i dont think it would be overheating that fast. maybe it need a dusting inside? or something else? please help...thanks

Bearing wear is a problem with cheap DC fans, noise is a major symptom. Actually you can replace the fan yourself, based on the physical measurements and the current rating--it's pretty easy. Most are 80mm x 80 mm square x 25mm thick. This is a pretty typical power supply replacement fan. You may be able to find a similar one locally at a computer store or trade show.

Make sure the supply is unplugged for an hour or more before you open it to discharge the capacitors.

Make sure the supply is unplugged for an hour or more before you open it to discharge the capacitors.

Does it really need to be this long? I thought that's why motherboards had those little lights on them-- to tell when the power in the system has been discharged.

Usually, all I do is unplug the system, and then hold the power button in for about 10 seconds, and then crack things open. Have I just been lucky up to this point? I've never been zapped, or anything...

That's fine for working on the inrenals of the system itself, Alex, but when you're cracking open the power supply unit itself it pays to be quite a bit more cautious. There's some rather big-ass capacitors inside power units!

Please be careful when dusting off the interior of your computer. I mistakingly dusted out the inside of my machine with a mini electronic vacuum. The kind that is typically used to clean the dust under the keys of a keyboard or other electronics. Unfortunately, I ended up killing one of my sticks of RAM at the same time. :(

Please be careful when dusting off the interior of your computer. I mistakingly dusted out the inside of my machine with a mini electronic vacuum. The kind that is typically used to clean the dust under the keys of a keyboard or other electronics. Unfortunately, I ended up killing one of my sticks of RAM at the same time. :(

Oooh jeeze, yup that happens. Static electricity is not your friend if your a computer geek!

this is also coming from the kid who never uses a static wrist band...and wont til something actually gets zapped by me :mrgreen:

buy a cheap air can and blow out your fan and the power supply box that should help with the heat, if not buy a new fan

What I did was bang a little, not banging it with a big baseball bat (however I do feel the urge sometimes ;) ) lol

I take my time when it comes to cleaning, a big dry cloth of kitchen paper and being careful that it doesn't stick. Lots of blowing from my lungs and I also use a small vacuum cleaner, however I don't use it on the interior, my chassis has a removable exterior with air holes in it and because the chassis is on a wooden floor without any kind of lifting from the ground its a working vacuum cleaner as it is. Its not something I'm proud of, but here we don't have the space to put it up, because it reaches the desk if it does.

Just get a new fan. They are not expensive.

Cranberry juice did the trick for me. Pour a little of it on the motherboard and it will clear it right up.

You shouldn't bang your computer at all. Just do as everyone here says, open the computer and clean it. Sometimes I use a vacuum cleaner very carefully to clean off all the dust.

You can buy a new fan - (just fan) on eBay auction,
Buy a good known brand
and attach it even with strips - it will be good to cool your CPU , VGA , case with no sound.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.