I just recently moved...and when I hooked up my PC it wouldnt boot to windows. I reinstalled windows xp pro. Now whenever I dont move the mouse for about 45 seconds the monitor or computer seems to go into sleep mode by itself. I have all power options set to "never turn off". Weird thing is, is that when this happens it seems to stop any download or kill the net connection when it stays in this sleep mode for more than a couple minutes. Simply moving the mouse will turn the monitor back on, and the net connection is then fine. This has never happened before. Again this is a fresh install of windows, same disk I've always used, same PC. No new hardware or software. I've checked all the hardware connections, everything is seated well. Also when this happens I get some very strange feedback through my speakers, when the monitor comes back on the screeching noise stops. Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I just recently moved...and when I hooked up my PC it wouldnt boot to windows. I reinstalled windows xp pro. Now whenever I dont move the mouse for about 45 seconds the monitor or computer seems to go into sleep mode by itself. I have all power options set to "never turn off". Weird thing is, is that when this happens it seems to stop any download or kill the net connection when it stays in this sleep mode for more than a couple minutes. Simply moving the mouse will turn the monitor back on, and the net connection is then fine. This has never happened before. Again this is a fresh install of windows, same disk I've always used, same PC. No new hardware or software. I've checked all the hardware connections, everything is seated well. Also when this happens I get some very strange feedback through my speakers, when the monitor comes back on the screeching noise stops. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a silly question but where have you moved to? is their power out at the moment and do they use the SAME voltage? if not your monitor wont work - although the PSU can be changed to 110 volts :) sounds like your PC could be only running on power for a while (or reduced power ie 240v pc @ 110v) then going to sleep when power is low to protect data...

nah I'm in Indiana, just moved to the next town over....

Did you install all the Windows Updates again? There are some (early) updates which address issues that may cause this behaviour.

Check the sleep setting IN THE MONITOR. Some monitors also have auto-turn off settings.

Check the sleep setting IN THE MONITOR. Some monitors also have auto-turn off settings.

No power settings in monitor, all updates installed. That's always the first thing I do. Something I forgot to mention before was that when it goes blank for more than say...5-10 minutes the internal clock also stops. It stops keeping time and every morning I have to adjust the time foward. I also tried unplugging all unneccesary hardware to lighten the load on the PSU and it didnt help. Your as stumped as me eh?

Now it sounds like a computer problem, like the CPU is stopping for some reason. Again, look for a sleep program of some kind (maybe a virus). Also it might be that the BIOS battery (if the computer has one) or the BIOS CMOS RAM failed.

Now it sounds like a computer problem, like the CPU is stopping for some reason. Again, look for a sleep program of some kind (maybe a virus). Also it might be that the BIOS battery (if the computer has one) or the BIOS CMOS RAM failed.

Only occurs under heavy hard drive load. Tried many many different drives, same thing.

Did you find a resolution to this. I am facing the same problem where the monitor turns itself off. I can't figure out whether it is a hardware or a software issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.