I purchased a new graphics card to replace my old 32mb Geforce 2 MX which was working just fine for an oldie.
I bought a 128mb Geforce FX 5200
I installed it, and it works ok with certain games like EA Games Alice,
But when I try to play Sims 2, the game loads right to the point of start of play and then I get a blue screen of death with an error message “nv4_disp.dll
Also when I run “dxdiag the card fails test Direct 3D at step 7.

Do you think this card is incompatible with my computer ?
Here’s my computer spec, it’s pretty old stuff, so don’t laugh ok.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: VT8363
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PGN
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~850MHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Any help much appreciated, Thank Rob. :confused:

HELP!

I have the same problem.

I have had my computer for about a year and everything was fine until the blue screen of death and NV4_disp message.

Dell Dimention DM 4600, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHZ, NVidia GeForce FX 5200, Windows XP Home Edition. Bios Version 4.34.20.22 BF.

I have talked to Dell Techs for days now, and they are clueless. I did the obvious things that they told me about - - deleting NVidia drivers and reinstalling, going back to earlier configurations, etc.

Can anyone help with this?

I get the same error with the blue screen, except it happens when I start up the computer (I have Windows XP since about a week).

Does that make a difference?

What can I do to resolve this?

Greetz Sabouma

ive had this problem, generaly i thought it was the ram, as it was before, i got some replacment ram and started getting this error when i was exciting games.

All uou have to do, very simple, is first uninstall your graphics card, update your motherboard, download the latest GFX drivers and install them straight away so it updates from freshly installing your graphics card to the latest.

Also it wouldnt do any harm to update windows as much as possible, this means SP2, ignore the bad news youve heard about it.

Also i need you lot to do one thing.

Goto Start > RUN > type Chkdsk C:
let it run throught that program and if you get a Blue screen once its done, its your windows installiation, otherwise its just your gfx. So hope it all works out

To Fix the Problem :idea:
1. Start the Computer Tapping the F8 Key as Soon as u push the button to start it keep tapping till you see "WINDOWS Advance options menu"
2. Highlight the Option Safe Mode using the Arrow Keys on your Keyboard and hit Enter to Select the option.

3. Hit Enter again on Windows XP under Please Select an Operating System.

4. Select ADMINISTRATOR on the Welcome Screen and Click on YES on the Popup Message which will say Windows is running in safe mode.......

5. Click on START and give a right Click on MY COMPUTER icon and select properties with left click, this will pop up a system properties Windows under that select HARDWARE on top and under that select DEVICE MANAGER

6. Under Device manager click on the '+' sign next to DISPLAY ADAPTERS and give a right click on the NVIDIA Adapter and select uninstall and click OK on the Confirmation POP UP.

7. Close All the Windows and Restart the System Normally.... Windows Will start normally without any errors but with the basic Display Settings.

8. Locate you Display Drivers CD and install the Drivers from the Disc for your NVIDIA Card and the Issue will be Resolved

:p

commented: Clear, accurate answer that solved my problem +0

i got my latest 77.77 beta drivers from guru3d.com . No problems at all, also you should download a driver cleaner after uninstalling your GFX card then go into safe mode and uninstall the new drivers.

1 day no errors :)

To Fix the Problem :idea:
1. Start the Computer Tapping the F8 Key as Soon as u push the button to start it keep tapping till you see "WINDOWS Advance options menu"
2. Highlight the Option Safe Mode using the Arrow Keys on your Keyboard and hit Enter to Select the option.

3. Hit Enter again on Windows XP under Please Select an Operating System.

4. Select ADMINISTRATOR on the Welcome Screen and Click on YES on the Popup Message which will say Windows is running in safe mode.......

5. Click on START and give a right Click on MY COMPUTER icon and select properties with left click, this will pop up a system properties Windows under that select HARDWARE on top and under that select DEVICE MANAGER

6. Under Device manager click on the '+' sign next to DISPLAY ADAPTERS and give a right click on the NVIDIA Adapter and select uninstall and click OK on the Confirmation POP UP.

7. Close All the Windows and Restart the System Normally.... Windows Will start normally without any errors but with the basic Display Settings.

8. Locate you Display Drivers CD and install the Drivers from the Disc for your NVIDIA Card and the Issue will be Resolved

:p

When i press F8. I see the lists of choices (Safe mode, Safe mode networking, Safe mode command prompt, etc. etc.)
However, regardless of which one I choose, I just get a black screen that has safe mode written in each corner and nothing else.

I got this stupid problem after doing a windows update and restarting my comp... :evil:

Could really use the help on how to get around this...

When i press F8. I see the lists of choices (Safe mode, Safe mode networking, Safe mode command prompt, etc. etc.)
However, regardless of which one I choose, I just get a black screen that has safe mode written in each corner and nothing else.

I got this stupid problem after doing a windows update and restarting my comp... :evil:

Could really use the help on how to get around this...

You can try doing the same thing you were doing to get to the menu where the safe mode options are listed, from there you should also have an option of " Last known good configuration" you can try that, and see if you can't go back to before the windows updates. and then try and load up safe mode after that.

Hi I had the same problem with my Gainward Powerpack SinentFX Ultra/980 Pro 256mb card. (This is the same as Nvidia FX5700)

All I did was go into my bios. I noticed the Graphics aperture Size was set to 256mb.

I changed it to 64mb and Voila! it worked fine.

I have similiar problems... but my problems seem to be the total of all your problems...

I have BSOD of nv4_disp stuck in an infinite loop, my screen will hang when i tried to click on my games (mmorpg & PC) and my comp will auto restart. sometimes when i click on my games, my screen will flicker n show some distorted lines etc. I've tried all the ways to solve it. But it wasnt successful.

I tried these ways:
uninstall during safe mode n re-install using CD & latest drivers from the official website.
using driver cleaner to cleanup the mess before i re-install new drivers.
re-format my whole comp n more...

Can someone try to help me on this?

Im currently using Windows XP Pro SP2, nvdidia geforce fx 5500 with latest drivers 81.92 and if anyone wanna know more abt the specs tell me.. i try to find for u...

thanks!!!

Hi I had the same problem with my Gainward Powerpack SinentFX Ultra/980 Pro 256mb card. (This is the same as Nvidia FX5700)

All I did was go into my bios. I noticed the Graphics aperture Size was set to 256mb.

I changed it to 64mb and Voila! it worked fine.

Hello, could you tell me how to access the BIOS to change? I'm having a very similar problem. :rolleyes:

yeah i have a nvidia card N6600, and the same thing happened to me, all you have to do is mess with the drivers till it works, you can try the newer updates of the driver, or the nvidia forceware from the nvidia driver download site http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp, it happens to me during counter strike:source, and World Of Warcraft. so yeah basicly just delete your drivers, then try to install them in a different order.

I had that error after many other unknown Stop errors. Then i got that error and it wiped out my registry so i had to re-format. I cleaned my pc and to my surprise i found a lot of dust.

So my advice is to unplug ur pc, and clean all fans and wipe off all dust. Use an anti-static bracelit or make one with tin foil and a wire. Make a bracelit with the tin foil and attach a wire to the bracelit and then to ur pc case. Make sure the bracelit touches ur skin.That will ensure small sparks and such don't damage ur pc and hardware. Make sure all cables,cards, and devices are securily attached and dry then reconnect the power and re-try to see if you get the error.
It might also be a virus, or a corrupted nv4_disp.dll. Try to re-downalod or update to the latest one, i don't know who made it initially, mabey Nvidia.

Member Avatar for WangVS

I have the same problem, just occasionally, using a LeadTek WinFast PX7600GT TDH, also known as a GeForce 7600GT. It has only occurred while connected to Eve-Online with multiple MMOG windows open. I looked on the LeadTek site and found that their latest driver was newer than the one I had... downloaded and installed it... but the problem persists.

System: Dell 690 with one 3.0 GHz Xeon Dual Core, 4 GB memory and four SCSI disk drives. Running WinXP Pro SP1.

It's a nice system except for several things:

1. The occasional BSoD.

2. It refuses to recognize my Brother USB printer.

3. It refuses to recognize my external Seagate USB disk drive (for backups).

4. It occasionally locks up one window for 10-15 seconds, as if it were doing some massive paging catch-up, but no solid disk activity is visible and with 4 GB of memory I don't think it should be paging much at all. I have only seen this lockup with Eve-Online windows.

This seems to be a problem mainly of the Nvidia GeForce FX5*** cards. They're most probably aware of the fact, that the drivers they dispatch aren't quite suitable for their own hardware, however noone seems to care. Anyway, for those, who have the "nv4_disp (...) infinite loop" BSOD problem (like I do right now :P) I'd suggest you try another OS, like linux or free/openBSD. The fact that I get the BSOD quite often when booting WinXP SP2 and NEVER get any problems with linux speaks for itself. There may, of course, be another reason for it but it's beyond me ;)

The weird thing is, I had the HDD and DVD-RAM drives removed from the machine for over two months, since I needed them somewhere else, the problem WAS there before this "break" and WASN'T there after placing the configuration back together... for a while(3 days or so). It's back again now, like a ferakin' terminator, always back :P
I have the strange feeling this might reside in some BIOS settings or similar, since leaving the mashine off the power grid for a long time has naturally cleared all settings and stuff... might be the reason it was running properly for a while however I'm sick & tired of it, so goodbye windows :)

sorry, must edit
it just occured to me, another possible source of the problem is directx, since linux uses opengl instead and experiences no problems

I'm getting the nv4_disp.dll problem I've tried BIOS and driver's for my card I went from a 6600 GT to a 8800 GT I rolled the latest drivers back to the Jan drivers. My system only crashes when accessing a DVD ROM I've tried changing the jumper settings and different IDE cables. I'm able to run a music CD and able to play games, however, I haven't played a game that requires a disc. Also I've been able to watch videoes online streaming or downloading them. I've updated the firmware for my drives also and nothing helps.

I have similiar problems... but my problems seem to be the total of all your problems...

I have BSOD of nv4_disp stuck in an infinite loop, my screen will hang when i tried to click on my games (mmorpg & PC) and my comp will auto restart. sometimes when i click on my games, my screen will flicker n show some distorted lines etc. I've tried all the ways to solve it. But it wasnt successful.

I tried these ways:
uninstall during safe mode n re-install using CD & latest drivers from the official website.
using driver cleaner to cleanup the mess before i re-install new drivers.
re-format my whole comp n more...

Can someone try to help me on this?

Im currently using Windows XP Pro SP2, nvdidia geforce fx 5500 with latest drivers 81.92 and if anyone wanna know more abt the specs tell me.. i try to find for u...

thanks!!!

If you are using a Acer pc with all the acer programs on them remove all of them and also if you are using AVG uninstall both of them this solved my problem on 4 pc's good luck. ----RYAN----

I dont know if you will get this since it was so long ago but i am now having the same problem and really need to know what you did to get this repaired and working please.

If you are using a Acer pc with all the acer programs on them remove all of them and also if you are using AVG uninstall both of them this solved my problem on 4 pc's good luck. ----RYAN----

I dont know if you will get this since it was so long ago but i am now having the same problem and really need to know what you did to get this repaired and working please.

I have found a tried and tested solution on multiple PC's. Here is THE FIX for the errors regarding nv4_disp.dll, Infinite Loop and BSOD Blue Screens.

1. Download the most recent video card driver's from the manufacturer's website (example: EVGA) and save to Desktop

2. Right-click MY COMPUTER

3. Click PROPERTIES, select the HARDWARE tab and click DEVICE MANAGER

4. Click the plus sign (+) beside DISPLAY ADAPTERS

5. Right-click the listed DISPLAY ADAPTER (example: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS) and click UNINSTALL

6. Restart PC and repeatedly Press F8 before Windows loads, choose SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT when the list appears

7. Choose ADMINISTRATOR when the list of user's appears

8. Close the CMD window when it appears (black window with white text)

9. Push Control+Alt+Delete

10. Click NEW TASK, type in explorer.exe and push Enter/click OK

11. Click Start, Search. Search NVIDIA and delete anything that appears

12. Search again, but this time for nv4_disp and delete anything that appears

13. Restart PC

14. Download AND Install your manufacturer's video card monitoring/overclocking program (example: EVGA Precision)

15. Install the downloaded video card drivers from Step #1

16. Restart PC

17. Run the video card monitoring/overclocking program.

18. -Turn DOWN the Core Clock by 25-40 points on the slider (I have mine at 690)
-Turn DOWN the Shader Clock by 25-40 points on the slider (I have mine at 1485)
-Turn DOWN the Memory Clock by 25-40 points on the slider (I have mine at 1115)
-Turn UP the Fan Speed to 99% or 100% (I have mine at 99%)

***Click APPLY after the settings have been changed***

[Go into the settings for your monitoring/overclocking program, choose to START WITH WINDOWS and SHOW IN TRAY ICON - if available]

Holy sh*t thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had this problem for years so i bought a new video card and put the useless one in my old pc

this fix solution of yours works perfectly sweet awesome!!!!!!!!! Fast to do too!!!!!

Yo, prashant1010:
Thanks for helping me solve my problem. Your steps were easy and right on.
Days of hunting for the problem have ended thanks to you!

Yo, prashant1010:
Thanks for helping me solve my problem. Your steps were easy and right on.
Days of hunting for the problem have ended thanks to you!

i got this blue screen then i am able to start up windows to the sign in point then all i get is a black screen with blue streaks HELP!!!

i get blue screen of death also

i'm just trying to fix this old (very old computer)

i'm not even playing games, my computer just goes blue screen at startup

I hope this solution works for me but when i restart my computor after removing video drivers windows automatically installs a generic driver. How can i prevent this to do a clean driver install?
Thanks Rick

my computer is getting worse when i log-in in normal mode it blue screens instantly,
My card is nvidia fx 5500 128 mb please help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.