Hi peoples,
Does anyone know whether this is a problem with the video card?
please see attachment. (2 pics of my desktop)
notice the vertical lines on the screen?

specs:

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Video card driver: vga, ver: 5.01.2600.0000

Mother board: M2N - SLI Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
RAM: 2 GB

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Also i'd like to add that i can only start my computer in safe mode. when i start it normally the screen just flashes blinding light.

Look like your card has had it!

Lol thats what I thourght, time for an upgrade i guess. I was just asking incase it might be the motherboard or something else, so i don't go and waste my money fixing it :P.

%99.9 it's the graphics card! I have seen symptoms like that before and it was always a failing graphics card, usually caused by overheating.
If it had been your monitor then it wouldn't have shown up in the screenshots.

Just a thought, I take it you have a decent PSU?

One other thing. PC World would have blamed just about every component in your PC and charged hundreds to fix it. ;)

Yeah i have a pretty decent PSU, can't remember what the specs are though. I'll check on that before i upgrade.

Cool. :) It's the 1 component that gets overlooked the most but is very very important.

Get this, a friend of a friend is running a dual core system with 3gig of ram and a high end graphics card and it crashes every time a game is started.
Turns out it has a 130watt PSU in it. I am surprised it's able to start at all!!

Try that vga card in other PC, is it still showing that lines? If it is, prepare to dump your card if it's guarantee time is over.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.