i need some help with a pci card i just bought. i am not exactly all knowledgable when it comes to computers, so ill try to explain this the best i can. i bought a geforce 5200 fx pci card to put in a new computer i just got. i hve the intel hazelton (D865GVHZ) motherboard, which has onboard video. i installed the pci card, and installed all the drivers from the cd for it. but when i connect the monitor to the pci video card, all there is is a black screen. i have tried disabling the onbaord video card in the device manager, but when i connect the monitor to the onboard video, it still works. the only way i can get the pci card to work, is if i go to display properties, then go to settings, then in the display i have the pci card and onboard video there, then i click on the pci card, i click on extend my windows desktop to this monitor, then i click on use this device as my primary monitor. after i do all that, i connect the monitor to the video card, and then it seems to work when i connect the monitor to the pci video card, but alot of things are messed up if i do that... things on the video card dont work, and programs dont run. also if i do that, i see the pci video card on default monitor number 2, and the onbaord video on plug and play monitor number 1.

i really dont know what to do to make the pci video card to work properly. it seems that the onboard video is conflicting somehow, or maybe im just doing something wrong. i did try disabling it in bios, but there isnt an option for it, there also isnt any jumpers i found to do it.

id appreciate any help :).

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You need to go through the bios settings very carefully.
Disabling the onboard video is not always as clear as one might hope.
Look at all the options for each setting...

You need to go through the bios settings very carefully.
Disabling the onboard video is not always as clear as one might hope.
Look at all the options for each setting...

Is this true of all on-board video? Is this also true for AGP and PCIe cards? Do you know of an on-line guide one might use to determine what edits need to be made to the bios to fix it?

Yes there is normal two places that you have to disable the onboard graphics have a look in all the pages some pages are hidden and need looking for! :eek:

That is REALLY frustrating! :evil: How the [expletive deleted] are normal, I-bought-it-at-WallMart folks supposed to know how to properly upgrade their vid cards? It does't tell you in the manual. (HP doesn't, anyway.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.