Hello everyone at daniweb, I've had a bit of a problem with my computer recently but managed to get it up and running earlier today. Problem is, when I had it running, a message appeared telling me it was installing my Nvidia 8800GT card.

Now, when this happened I figured there had to be something wrong, since I've had the computer for a couple of years and obviously it had already been installed when I got it. But naturally, I went along with this as it seemed to be fairly important, but when it had installed it told me I needed to restart my system.

This is where it all goes bad.

Now, I go along with the message and I reboot my PC. Problem is, now it won't turn on. The power light comes on and the fans start up as they do when the PC is first booted, with the fan of the video card running faster than it would be when logging in, though this is normal for my computer. However, now, it just stays at that speed, and I get no display, no beeps, no flashing lights..
It seems as if the computer is constantly stuck trying to boot, but when I unplug the graphics card it all sounds well. Only problem is, without the graphics card, I have no input for my monitor and I can't actually see if the computer is doing anything.

Thanks for any help you can give me and sorry this is a bit wordy :P

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I'm guessing there's no on board generic video on the motherboard?

I would suggest finding a low cost graphics card that will be compatible with your video adapter slot and plug it in.
You can find drivers for your card at

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_8800_gt_us.html

If you power on the PC without a video card, I think there is supposed to be a beep code. I'm not at home at the moment, and my PC's I have access to all have on board video anyways, so I wouldn't be able to test it.

As far as I know, you're correct. There is no on board video.

If it helps. My motherboard is an ASUS M2N SLI that I've had problems with in the past and I'm starting to think it could be that.

If you can get ahold of a video card that will plug into the PCIe, I'd try that. According to the specs on that motherboard, there is no on board video.

commented: Very useful and committed member :) +0

Unfortunately, without buying one I have no access to a spare video card.

Is there any chance you could help me find a cheap one compatible with my motherboard?

based on where you are at I would start with some local pc shops here.

You may be able to pick up some cheap video cards, or possible even work something out to have them throw a video card in there for a few minutes to see if it solves the problem.

I have read some of the reviews on your motherboard, it does seem like a hit or miss on your brand. If you take a look at the capacitors on the motherboard, if any are round instead of flat on top, it's a good sign that the motherboard is on its way out also.

I have to say I'm impressed. I'll give a few companies a call and see if I can get this thing sorted out, but thankfully it would seem that my motherboard isn't quite at the end of it's run yet.

Thank you very much for your help, is there a way to give positive rep on these forums at all?

i experienced the same situation with my computer, i can't see anything on screen but i hear some noise. so i what i did is, i re-program it. i went to acefastservices.co.uk and they help me out to fix my computer problem. now my computer works very well ;)

i experienced the same situation with my computer, i can't see anything on screen but i hear some noise. so i what i did is, i re-program it. i went to acefastservices.co.uk and they help me out to fix my computer problem. now my computer works very well ;)

if you reprogrammed it ,why did you need to pay money to acefast to help you fix it.we offer free help here 24x7

Member Avatar for zemanelz

Hi guys, I have a similar problem:

Just bought a new PC, installed everything and using onboard graphics, everything is OK. If I plug in the graphic card, the computer doesn't start. The display don't turn on, the keyboard / mouse lights neither. The Fans are working (even the graphic card fans). I unplugged and replugged everything, reseted BIOS, disabled onboard graphics, but with the graphic card nothing works.
I have no chance to test the graphic card on other PC, or other graphics on my pc.
Any help ?
Thanks for your time!

My system:
XFX Core Edition PSU PRO 550W
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Gigabyte Ati HD7870 OC Version 2GB DDR5 PCI-E
Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) 6MB BOX
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4096MB DDR3 1600Mhz
Samsung 840 SSD 2.5 SATA III 120GB

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.