Hello,

I do not know a lot about computers, so I know this is a long shot.
However I really need advice!

I have just got a new computer tower (its second hand) and a monitor from a family member.
Both monitor and tower were in full working order before I brought them home.

However, I attatched my own monitor and my partner altered the resolution, this worked fine.
However, when I next turned my computer on a message comes up on the computer saying `monitor is going to sleep`

this happens on both monitors, and I have no idea what to do!

I wan`t even aware monitors went sleep!
Its most bizzare

and I would be very grateful for some advice.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hello, it sounds like the person you got the P.C. from changed the power settings. I know WinXP settings but not Win 7. If XP, go to control panel, then power options and set all those boxes to "never" like, never turn off monitor or hard drive, ect. And set it as "allways on" at the top of the screen. Hope this helps....

If you get this happen as soon as windows boots then it's more likely to be a resolution or refresh rate problem.

Press F8 just after your bios screen and before windows begins and select safe mode. In safe mode, you will be able to lower your resolution and/or refesh rate. If you need instructions on how to do this, we will first need to know what version of windows you have!

Hello,

Thank-you very much for your help.

I have now set all the settings to `never`

and I found out the reason it wasn`t working was due to the RAM being in the wrongway!!!

How this happened I have no idea.
Thank-you for your advice.

It is very much appreciated

why the monitor directly into sleep mode ?how to open

I think there is no problem in your monitor. And no monitor directly go into sleep mood. You can check the power settings of your computer in windows 7 just go to the control panel of your computer then click on to the power option then select the "turn of display" to never and click ok. I think it is enough for your problem.

The computer has no problem, it works very on other monitors, my problem is with the monitor and wen I switch it on it displays for like 4sec n goes back to sleep mode, the computer is okay

@j Long ago ATI cards had a boot resolution setting that created problems like this.

I read your claims that other displays are fine but I don't read that the BIOS screen stays on. This means there is something incompatible between this PC and this display. It doesn't tell us much more. I don't see model numbers and details I could see if this is reported by others in your top post.

IOW, you left out key details. Not that details can find a cure, sometimes it just verifies it's incompatible.

For now call PC maker and monitor maker to ask them what to try next.

My try would be to try VGA 15 pin output as well as HDMI. I would be resetting the display and BIOS to defaults too.

Bottomline test? The PC and monitor SHALL work on the BIOS screen or there is an incompatibility in the graphics area (card or monitor).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.