My Compaq Presario laptop is 4-5 year old ( i know it may be too old). But last week when i turned it on, the screen just went black. I tried to to shut it down by pressing the power key and restart it again, but it stayed black. I dont know what to do cuz the screen showed nothing for me to fix. i really wanna fix it myself ( so to save some money) please if anyone be so kind to help me out pleaseeee!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi and welcome to Daniweb!

When you power on your laptop, does all hardware working ie. fan, HDD, etc. except screen?

When was the last you used and it still worked?

So your laptop is not starting at all and you can't see a thing. Try clearing the heatsink, make sure there is no dust to rule out an overheating issue. Can you try reseating the graphic card.

So your laptop is not starting at all and you can't see a thing. Try clearing the heatsink, make sure there is no dust to rule out an overheating issue. Can you try reseating the graphic card.

Jingda, you miss the other point again...

My Compaq Presario laptop is 4-5 year old

Where? Which point?

Where? Which point?

Reseating heatsink and graphic card when it was a laptop to begin with?? Ignore this if you do know what to do...

Forget my advise above. Try taking out the battery and use the power cord and see whether that works. If you have an external monitor, connect it with your laptop and check whether you can view anything?

@ Flagstar

Why does clearing heatsink does not applied and work in this case?

@Jingda

because people rarely brave enough to open their own laptop casing and taking out component inside without knowing what they are except the laptop were already dead to begin with. If you have no knowledge whatsoever on laptop maintenance, would you try to salvage it on your own? Even I won't dare to open mine...

Ok sorry for the late reply. I never really consider about the OP. By the way why have not the OP reply?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.