Member Avatar for rajivpoonia

Hi all,

For starters,i have looked at other forum posts on this site and used the recommendations there for this problem I have and no solution had seemed to help.

I have a dell xps m1530 laptop, about 3 years old. It has handled very rigorous situations, like intense gaming, needy applications, etc. My computer was working fine last night and when I woke up this morning, my computer powered on, went to the disc drive check, fans on and then.... powered to a low power state where you can barely hear the fans. I did the take out battery, hold power button trick and is no better. About a year ago, my inverter wire was pinched due to me opening up my computer to do some dusting. I haven't done any dusting in a while because I am a bit paranoid now.

What could be the problem? I have tried putting new batteries into laptop, but if I have the power cord in laptop, it really shouldn't matter if battery is in or out/good or bad. Any further recommendations or solutions that may resolve my problems? The best part about this is I am full time engineering student who needs his computer all of the time! Thank you for all help in advance!.

The screen is DARK means there is something on screen but it's very hard to see! I tried to update the BIOS and also install the Display driver again also.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If the screen is very dark but there is something showing on it then the backlight inverter is the most likely cause. If you know what you are doing then you need to open up your lappy and get at the inverter. It will have at least 1 surface mount fuse on it. If you can identify the fuse(s) then you need to continuity test it (them) with a test meter. If you don't feel you are up to this then taking it to a professional is your only other option.

As a guide, I charge £40 labour and around £20 for a replacement inverter totalling £60.

Member Avatar for rajivpoonia

If the screen is very dark but there is something showing on it then the backlight inverter is the most likely cause. If you know what you are doing then you need to open up your lappy and get at the inverter. It will have at least 1 surface mount fuse on it. If you can identify the fuse(s) then you need to continuity test it (them) with a test meter. If you don't feel you are up to this then taking it to a professional is your only other option.

As a guide, I charge £40 labour and around £20 for a replacement inverter totalling £60.

Thanks Rik for the prompt response. Unfortunately, I am in US and could not visit your store. Could you please suggest any store in US preferably in Atlanta, GA area? Thanks in advance.

I'm in the UK hence my prices are in £ not $. I have no idea what local stores you will have there. Have a good google and you are bound to find something.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.