Can anyone advise me on how to go about in using my laptop monitor as my desktop?
Any advice is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 49 Replies

Do you mean that you have a desktop computer, but you want to use a laptop monitor for the desktop computer? I don't think you can do this, to the best of my knowledge. Your laptop's video card would need to support a monitor-in connection (I forget whether it's a male or female connection for some reason).

Many laptops offer a monitor-out connection. This would allow you to expand your monitor's screen onto a regular desktop monitor.

commented: Thanks for the explanation :) +0

Hi,
Cant remember the technical details for this but it is very dificault to use your laptop screen as your desktop monator.
basicaly the screens have no hardware built in to handle a strait vga input. all of the techincal stuff is on the laptop main board. having seid that i have seen it done by someone out there and there was a lot of electroics involved, you need a board with a chip designed exacatly for the screen to handle all of its functions and another to convert the vga into something usable and a circut for the power. sorry that all so fluffy but its been awhile.

as an alturnative have you thourght about using your laptop as a thin client, or vnc terminal? this way you have your keyboard mouse and monator and one cat five cable running to the main box, you mite even be able to to this with wifi, leaving you free to wonder about.

let me know how it turns out.

spikes

Can anyone advise me on how to go about in using my laptop monitor as my desktop?
Any advice is appreciated.

Can't be done. I'm sorry. The circuitry inside the laptop drives the display in a non-standard way -- you can't tap into that signal path.

Speaking as an electronic technician, computer technician, and monitor repairman...

If both computers can be placed on your intranet, you could try tightvnc

yes as a matter of fact It can be done and I am presently doing it now. There are some small problems to handle. Basically what you need is a PCMICA card with a video imput This may be hard to find If you have any problems P.M me and I will send you to a web site so you can view the card The card when inserted reconizes the dual imput and kind of shuts off the video imput from the laptop and allows an external source imput to come through.
Hope this helps.

So are you essentially bypassing the laptop's video card? What handles the actual video processing between the computer processor and monitor? The external computer's video card? The pcmcia card?

thats sounds really cool could you post the link to that card i would like to look into this alittle more. thanks :)

yes as a matter of fact It can be done and I am presently doing it now. There are some small problems to handle. Basically what you need is a PCMICA card with a video imput This may be hard to find If you have any problems P.M me and I will send you to a web site so you can view the card The card when inserted reconizes the dual imput and kind of shuts off the video imput from the laptop and allows an external source imput to come through.
Hope this helps.

WILL THIS TYPE OF CARD WORK EVEN IF THE LAPTOP HAS NO OPERATING SYSTEM ON IT?

CHEERS

yes as a matter of fact It can be done and I am presently doing it now. There are some small problems to handle. Basically what you need is a PCMICA card with a video input

This is not the same thing. Video resolution is nowhere near that of computer display resolution; if it was, I would have suggested that to begin with.

This is not to say that this approach doesn't have its uses (video networking, etc.), it just doesn't answer the original question.

Even as a hardware cowbow, and someone who has limitless faith in technology being able to do whatever we want, I have to agree with Talkcool1. I have extensivly searched the possibility of this and talked to a number of designers and techs, but depressingly I can't find a solution. However I would love be wrong and if there is an answear please let me know.

Dear All-

I too am trying to do the same thing... If it is possible... Please post the link... I want to buy that card NOW!!!

Thnx -a8le:lol:

How would this be possible if I only have the monitor, not the (nonfunctional) laptop I got mad at and tore apart? Also, how do I attach a laptop keyboard and touchpad to a desktop?

How would this be possible if I only have the monitor, not the (nonfunctional) laptop I got mad at and tore apart? Also, how do I attach a laptop keyboard and touchpad to a desktop?

I don't mean to hijack this thread. I have a similar but slightly less radical requirement.

I want to use the laptop screen with the laptop pc... but I want to phiscially remove the tightly coupled screen yet teather it from the same laptop.

Meaning.. I want to mount the laptop screen on the wall... but keep the laptop & keyboard hidden.

Does that make sense?

If it is only some specific laptops hat can do it... which is that?

why am I not using an LCD second monitor?

Because.. I want the screen to be limited to 14" without a big beazel. The edges should be as thin as the ;aptop and also the thiness of the lcd. I cannot get a regular LCD that is as good as these laptop screens.

heya it is possible because in one of my options for my laptop (it has a video out cable) can output to a monitor, this is the procedure of if I want to use a monitor:
I right clicked, went to output to and then highlight output to and then went to output to monitor.

Right, but everybody here's trying to do the exact opposite ;)

Right, but everybody here's trying to do the exact opposite ;)

ooo haha ok then I wouldn't know so I will stay out of this conversation then :D lol

I actually managed getting a laptop screen to work on my pc's 9800 pro.
i made a sync converter and i simply wired up the pins.
the laptop was an ancient toshiba sat, 100mhz

Hmm, I have a TC4600 and would be interested in doing the same. Do you know where I could get plans?

I am trying to do a simliar procedure with my Compaq Presario laptop
I found a site that may answer the question in this board.
The only problem is place in which to get the parts for this task.

Here is the link that may answer the question.
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-1MjY.AsidqfrUUFzkb0HaN3v2LIR?l=6&u=8&mx=8&lmt=5
If anyone knows a store where I can find the lcd accesories he speaks of at a cheap price please tell me Thanxs

I have a pci card with vesa connector all i have to do is wire the laptops lcd to the card..but..i don´t know how..can u help me?

Can't be done. I'm sorry. The circuitry inside the laptop drives the display in a non-standard way -- you can't tap into that signal path.
Speaking as an electronic technician, computer technician, and monitor repairman...

With enough ingenuity there is always a way. The worst case scenario would be to design your own circuit board to translate between the desktop video card and the laptop LCD.

I am having problems with my laptop screen starting up just fine but then going out though I can still see it loading in the background.It is loading fine but I cant see it because the screen goes black.I would really like to use my laptop but is there any way to use another monitor plugged into the laptop or stop the flickering...HELP!

I am having problems with my laptop screen starting up just fine but then going out though I can still see it loading in the background.It is loading fine but I cant see it because the screen goes black.I would really like to use my laptop but is there any way to use another monitor plugged into the laptop or stop the flickering...HELP!

there should be a connection on the back of the laptop to plug in computer monitor and using the laptops FN +f7 keys to switch between the 2

Flickering sounds like the backlight has died (if you can still see the desktop behind it).

What's your laptop model?

Hi , Can you suggest me How i can do the same , I ahve a Laptop monitor of toshiba Satelite series , Have a desktop System too.. what convertor I need to buy and where can i get ?? Please advice sankar@vdex.in

what convertor I need to buy and where can i get ??

To both identify and purchase the converter/controller that you want, try this Controller Solution Generator at DigitalView.com. Be forewarned though; these converters are expensive.

That should be easy if you have a twisted pair cable,use a crossover cable to connect your laptop to your desktop using the RJ45 connector,when your boot up the two machine you can even manipulate the content of your desktop from your laptop and vicecersa.

I have a Samsung NC10 netbook, which doesn't have a PCMCIA slot. How would I go about doing this? I have an NVidia GeForce 2 MX in my desktop machine which has TwinView.

Why are people trying to do this? What is the purpose?

From my own research back in the day, it turns out that the laptops use some very interesting signal controllers which are very hard if not impossible to tap into. Since laptops do not support video-in out-of-the-box, you will need to do some sort of hacking OR get a USB/PCMCIA/Firewire video card that allows video in - and even then I'm pretty sure you'd have to run the input in a window on your desktop. In other words, you'd need an OS installation and drivers for both your laptop's built-in video card and the external video card.

In any case, such cards are going to be not much cheaper then LCD monitors these days. The amount of effort, knowledge, time, and, possibly, money, going into such a project would not be worth the reward.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.