Hi,
I have a HP laptop that I'm having a problem with. The laptop turns on but the screen is black. I connect the laptop to the tv via s-cable, I can see that the laptop is working. The monitor is working also but there is no light. I can barely see whatever is on the monitor if I come really close to it during the day under the sun but can't see anything anything at night.
It seems like the light is not coming on, maybe?
I tried brightening up the monitor but it wasn't the problem.
It could be that the little button that is on the laptop up left corner is malfunctioning, the button that comes down when you push the monitor down that turns off the computer. Because I tried pushing down a couple of times, the first time, the screen came on just one time, and never came on again.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
DaVita

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Have you installed any new hardware into the laptop? If so you may have disconnected a cable by accident.

No, I have not. I haven't done anything to the laptop except surfing the net.

Have you accidentaly put it onto the external monitor mode?

Not sure but will search the "external monitor mode", if I cannot find it, how can I check it?
Thanks

There is usually a button (along with the function button 'Fn' on most laptops and in blue) which can be held down to gain exctra tasks.
Hold this button down and press an 'F' key with what looks like 2 squares. It is usually F8. Hold down the blue 'Fn' key and press F8, you should see your monitor, if not come back.

There is usually a button (along with the function button 'Fn' on most laptops and in blue) which can be held down to gain exctra tasks.
Hold this button down and press an 'F' key with what looks like 2 squares. It is usually F8. Hold down the blue 'Fn' key and press F8, you should see your monitor, if not come back.

Will try it when I get home.
Thanks,
DaVita

Tried, didn't work.
It's connected to the tv, when I fress "Fn" and square button, the desktop on tv changes to a black screen, so It works, the keys do what it supposed to do but again, nothing on the laptop's monitor.
The pictures, the windows are there, I can barely see them but there is no light in the monitor.

Has the laptop got enough battery power, is the power light flashing on and off?

There are most likely one or both of two things happening here. Since you have not opened the laptop we can rule out a disconnection between the LCD and the mainboard. There is a small long thin lamp inside the LCD which provides backlighting. If this lamp burns out you will experience the symptoms you've described. Also, there is an Inverter Board which provides power to the lamp and this may be at fault as well. In either case you must bring the laptop into a service center for repair

There are most likely one or both of two things happening here. Since you have not opened the laptop we can rule out a disconnection between the LCD and the mainboard. There is a small long thin lamp inside the LCD which provides backlighting. If this lamp burns out you will experience the symptoms you've described. Also, there is an Inverter Board which provides power to the lamp and this may be at fault as well. In either case you must bring the laptop into a service center for repair

My co-worker, who knows more than I do about computers, said the same thing; most likely it's the back light. I went to best buy geek squad for the repair, they've said anywhere between $400 - $600 to replace the monitor. The guy said he cannot fix the backlight. Is this true? I thought it was, like you've said, a thin lamp, and this could be replaced.
Is this something I can do?
If not, I might have to buy a LCD monitor and connect it to the laptop either via vga or s-cable.
I don't have extra money to buy a new laptop at this time, but if this is something I can do, replace the lamp, I'd like to try or should I take it somewhere else to get it replaced or this item cannot replaced at all.

Thanks again,
DaVita

Saw a backlight for my laptop for $20 with shipping. How hard is it to change it?

They are actually for the most part relatively easy to change although some makes and models will require more disassembly than others.
Most laptop displays have small rubber caps placed over the screw holes and these can be pried off with a small screwdriver. These are usually found on the front of the display at the outer edges. There are usually only 3 or 4 small screws to be removed allowing the removal of the outer casing that holds the LCD in place. This link my assist you

http://www.instructables.com/id/E8M1EZJF3YWV61Q/?ALLSTEPS

Just copy & paste the link into your browser's address bar.

You may even find instructions for your model of HP with a Google search. Had you posted which model of HP you have I may have been able to find exact disassembly instructions. I hope this helps.
The process is usually quite simple and only takes me a few minutes but I have done hundreds so you will require some patience and just remember not to force anything.Good luck.

Thank you very much for your help. I will try it when I have some free time.

DaVita

In other words go aon ebay. Get your laptop model number, and buy a new screen. It's dead. Then have someone install it. shouldnt take more then ten min. If you know what your doing.

I have an hp laptop that the blue light will come on for a couple pf seconds then it will go out and come back on. It will keep doing this but the monitor will stay black. I checked memory, check with an external monito, took out all cru's and nothing. I am thinking that it is the hardrive. Any suggestion?

i have the same problem :$ fukkkk

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.