About half an hour ago, my computer screen started flickering. It'll flicker for about 10 seconds, then stop for a minute, and then pick up again. Anyone know why it's doing this? I ran a virus scan--no viruses. We just had a bad thunderstorm, however, and it had extreme lightning, would that do it? My mother's computer, which is only a room away, doesn't seem to be having troubles. Please tell me that it isn't my actual computer-I have too many files to have them deleted :(

TIA-Kelly

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

It seems, unfortunately, like it is your hardware. A surge from a lightning storm would definitely produce such an effect. However, the good news is that if you're not experiencing problems other than with your monitor, your motherboard, processor, and hard drives are (hopefully) saved.

Now for the bad news. The problem lies with either your computer monitor or your video card. While these are easily replacable and will not destroy any existing data on your hard drive, they are the most expensive parts of a computer to replace.

Since your mom's computer is in the next room, ask her if you could borrow her monitor. Plug her monitor into the back of your computer and see if it works. If it does, with no problems, you know the monitor was fried by the storm. Contact the monitor manufacturer if it's under warranty. Otherwise, you'll have to shell out the bucks for a new monitor, and just simply plug it in. (nothing to configure).

If this doesn't fix the problem, I'm willing to bet it's the video card. Let me know if you don't have any experience opening up a computer case and testing video cards.

Everything was hooked up to a surge protector though; would it still be able to fry it?

TIA-Kelly

I have a surge protector on my house as well as one hooked up to all the electronics equipment in my room. I've still managed to fry a computer as well as a television due to a surge from a power outage. I guess some electrical storms are just too much for surge protectors.

However, this goes without saying, it could have been much worse, had there not been a surge protector. So they most certainly are far from useless.

The problem with surge proctectors is we don't buy good enough one and we don't buy a new one often enough ,they are blocking spikes all the time and are only good for so many spikes and a good surge !!

About half an hour ago, my computer screen started flickering. It'll flicker for about 10 seconds, then stop for a minute, and then pick up again.

I'm a monitor repairman (among other things). Let's start wth a few questions:

* Problems vary with brand & model. Please specify.
* Is the monitor a CRT (like a TV) or an LCD (like a laptop)?
* Have you tried the monitor on a different computer?
* Have you tried a different monitor on this computer?
* Is it flickering "in color" or is does it shift in brightness without changing color?
* Does the problem affect the whole screen, or is it visible in bands/streaks?

It's unlikely that a surge caused a problem, but let us know the answers.

hi

unfortunately, i dont have any answers to your query, however, I am having the same problems but under different curcumstances.

My screen seems to have a constant (non stop) horizontal flickering. I have a hunch as to whats wrong, so I was hoping someone might be able to help.

I recently decorated my room and had to store my computer elseware, upon re conecting everything, I realised that one of the small clylinders on the moniter connector on the back of the tower was missing, therefore I was unable to screw in one of the screws on the moniter adapter.

I didnt think that this was a problem (i thought it was just for holding it in place - i guess not), but after getting the problem and trying out a different monitor, i came to the conclusion that it must be, could someone confirm this for me.

and if it is this that is causing the problem, is it fixable, or do i have to fork out money i dont have for a new video card :( (i was hoping i might just be able to buy a new connecting cylinder thingy).

thanks
Damian

You can by replacements at COMP USA

... upon reconnecting everything, I realised that one of the small cylinders on the monitor connector on the back of the tower was missing, therefore I was unable to screw in one of the screws on the monitor adapter.

The loss of this item is not usually a functional problem. The hardware that you are describing is known as a standoff, and is generally used to hold the video card's backplate to the VGA connector and as a means of securing the monitor cable/plug to the system; the integrity of the connector is rarely compromised this way, but missing hardware should always be replaced. Any decent computer shop would have a spare one in their hell box, or they come in pairs (take the one that's left along with you for a match). Also, I would use a 3mm star lockwasher under each standoff for proper retention in the future--and don't over-tighten them (the Voice of Experience speaking).

What is most likely is that in the manipulation of the cables and moving the system you managed to partially dislodge the video card from the socket. I would try reseating the card before going any further. I doubt that it's damaged--a monitor cable has a lot of leverage, and can easily pry a board partially out of its socket, even if properly secured. Make sure that the screw-tab sticks out from the bracket at a right angle. If it's bent, that's one indication of the problem.

* Is it flickering "in color" or is does it shift in brightness without changing color?

I have a problem with a flickering monitor as well.

It's an unnamed monitor, a generic one most probably. My video card is SiS 650. The monitor's an LCD type.

I tried it on another computer, and it's alright there. The flickering is 'in color' as you say. Usually, it's in straight lines that vary in width, and appear randomly around the screen. Though sometimes, the screen is turned into the color of the flicker for a second or two, before reverting back to normal flickering. The color is blue-green for some reason.

I hope you can help me, and it would be better to email me so that I'll receive it right away. Thanks in advance.

If it's an LCD screen, the most likely cause its that the flurorescent backlamp is nearing the normal end of its life (in the same way normal fluorescent lamps burn out - by flickering and blinking). A tecnician should be able to replace it.

If it's a CDT screen, the most likely cause is dust on the picture tube shorting the high voltage to ground. Get this fixed as soon as possible, or the high voltage transformer will burn up.

i am having a very similar problem.. my mon is a 17" CRT (Sony A200).. about 3 to 4 yrs old...
i havent tried this mon on a different computer or vice versa...
the flickering happens once in a while.. and it happens on edges of the screen.. u'd see some bright white fuzziness.. or it sorta resizes the screen a bit and then back to normal... hopefully this is fixable.. i really dont have the extra cash for a new mon now.. sighs..

Hi !
I'm also experiancing flickering issues with my laptop.
When i bend the screen at certain angles it works flawless, but then again on most angles it just flickers. On thing I've noticed is that when theres a dark background, black in particular it flickers even more. I don't think there is an issue with the video card, although i suspect that there might be a cable thats loose.

The computer itself is very new (HP Pavillion dv8000 only 5 months odl) so I don't think that its the backlight thats seen the best of its days yet... Thankful for any help I can get....

halu... i'm juz going to ask if you also know about this. whenever i use microsoft office, the screen starts blinking... itz causing me a headache. itz ibm thinkpad laptop

hi,

i have a 15" toshiba 5200 series Satellite laptop. the screen flickered and it went black. but there is an outline of the active screen image, but super super faint, but there. it is the inverter that runs the backlight? maybe it is a connection at the lcd or at the inverter (unseated connection)? and how will i know if it is the inverter. i would hate to spend 70 bucks to find out the lcd is toast.

last question: is a 15" lcd screen for a toshiba satellite pro 4600 a suitable/compatible replacement for the 5200 series lcd mentioned above? how can i find out? i have access to one but it will cost me 120 bucks

thank you everyone.
tony

in china,many people have this kind of problems!
beacuse the producter use LG's inferior screen !

I had flickering screen a while ago. I was able to fix it doing this

1)Right-click on My Computer
2)Select Management. Allow the program to start up
3)Select Device Manager
4)find your video card
5)Right-click and select uninstall
6)allow the computer to reinstall the card automatically
7)If it doesn't work soon, try rebooting your computer.

I was running Vista Business 64x on a 64x dual core AMD 2GB system with an nvidia 6100 video card.
Not sure if this is the same issue as yours, but my problem solved that way.

To manually adjust the refresh rate, click on Start | Settings | Control Panel and double-click the Display icon. Once the applet opens, select the Settings tab and click on Advanced. Select the Monitor tab. A drop-down list of refresh rates will be available here, and, provided you don't exceed the monitor's maximum rate, you can select each of these in turn to find the optimal setting. As a rough guide, refresh rates of 70 Hz to 85 Hz are common. So select the rate in between this.
Try This! Hope this will solve your problem.

Thank You,
Praveen P.

This thread is very old.
However, I had a similar problem that I foud the cause.

My LG LCD usd to flick for some time. i.e. the icons and text lost the clarity like out of focus for 1 or 2 seconds, then ok.

my pc power coord plug had become loose. Everything is fine after I fixed it.

Some other reasons found on the web: loose internal cables, under rated PSU or an old PSU which has become very dirty and dusty, etc

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.