Hello fellow techies.

So here is my dilemma. I am slapping together a new computer, and I need a little help diagnosing why my CPU is overheating. Here are my specs.

CPU INTEL|C2D E8500 3.16G 775 45N
MEM 2Gx2|CORS TWIN2X4096-6400C5
HD 640G|WD 7K 16M WD6400AAKS
WIN XP PRO X64
CASE TT|VA8003BWS BK
MB ASUS P5Q DELUXE 775 P45 ICH10R
VGA PNY VCGGTX280XPB GTX280 1G
PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W

I put the rig together and booted it up. The first thing I did was check the CPU temp and it was at 65 C then climbed to 76 C. All settings on default. I didn't use any thermal compound and I am using the manufacturer's fan, so I thought maybe that was the issue. So I thought ok, 170 F I can deal, but after installing windows I checked again and the temp had climbed to 93. Right then I shut it down. I've come up with a couple of possible reasons for the temp being so high.

1. I need thermal compound and a better cpu fan, but that seems unlikely since even with the manufacturer's fan I should be at a no higher than 50 C
2. The default voltage settings are too high and that is causing my complications with my cpu.
3. The CPU is DOA and I need to RMA.

I would appreciate any input. Thank you very much.

You need to add the thermal compound, this enhances the thermal convection from the heat spreader of the CPU to the heat sink. It's a must!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.