I have an M2n-SLI Deluxe motherboard w/ AMD 64 X2 +6000 processors. I updated my bios from the suggestions of ASUS and AMD technical, all went fine except when I run my "Ableton Live" recording program, in the preferences tab, there is an option for "Support Dual Core Processors", and it is greyed out. I can not change the option to dual core. I contacted "Ableton Tech Support", and they sent me a tool to run so I could send results back to them, and they replied,
"this says that you are using a processor with only one core.
That is the reason why Live doesn't offer the CPU Multicore option - There are no multiple cores.

A google search revealed that the Athlon 64 X2 IS a multicore processor.
Maybe your Bios settings are somehow wrong or the operating system doesn't allow multiple processors."
So how do I tell if I am using dual core? I have checked bios and it shows dual core, and in system properties, I show both processors.
Help before warranty runs out!!! lol

Recommended Answers

All 45 Replies

Bring up the Task Manager and click on the Performance Tab.
If there are two cpu histories showing, both cores are working.

Wow, Ok, It is definitely running two, Just using one graph. So it is with the program I am assuming. Thanks a lot for the help!!!!

Yours is definitely running only one of the cores. Are you certain you have the cpu you think you have?
Right click on My Computer and select Properties and it should tell you what cpu you have.

Yours is definitely running only one of the cores. Are you certain you have the cpu you think you have?
Right click on My Computer and select Properties and it should tell you what cpu you have.

and go one farther and go into device manager and check processor ,if 2 show in list you have 2 ,i think ,read 2 different definitions ,one say duel core and one said it meant hyper threading was set !

No worries, but hyperthreading is Intel only :D

It is showing two processors on the left top in the pic I posted, but the graph to the right top is set to "only use one graph for both Processors". Thanks for the help.

No worries. I need to open my eyes :)

attachments are so small ,i still only see cpu usage and page file usage in yours, looks just like my single core ,did you check device manager and see if it showed 2 processors there .

He's got Task Manager to show the total usage of both cores together Caper. That's what threw me.

Sorry about the thumbnail, Hope this is better.

That looks to me like its only showing one core. The top graph should be split into two for dual core like in my picture and devmanager should show 2 logical cpus

There is an option to show ALL cores in a single graph. That is what he has done.
SillyBilly. Can you please change the option over to show one graph per core? Post up a screenie.

On the view options in task manager>Performance>View Options>Cpu History, it says "Use one graph per CPU".
So Maybe I have bad Core?

Earlier, you said

It is definitely running two, Just using one graph.

Now you are saying the opposite. Which one is it?
In device manager, double click on the line for each core and see if it says that both devices are working correctly.

Sorry to be confusing, but if it says, "use one graph per CPU', then what I get out of it is that per CPU in this case two, there should be two graphs. I could be wrong. I just hate to send my mother board off and have to be without it for so long, I use it in my business. That's why I was wondering if there was a for sure way to find out because I am confused on device manager showing two, and the task manager showing two on the bar but only showing one graph. To me I am not convinced either way. I still do not know.

Did you do what I said in my last post?

If you have it set to "use one graph per cpu" and there is only one graph showing, there is either something wrong with the processor, or the mobo.

There is not an option to choose one or two graphs. Just has the one, "show one graph per CPU", and it is selected. You think I got a bad one?
Also when i CLICK ON EITHER LINE OF CPU USAGE, IT JUST ENLARGES, IT WONT SEPERATE.

In device manager, double click on the line for each core and see if it says that both devices are working correctly.

Again...... Have you tried this?

You think I got a bad one?

Do the above and it will give us a better idea.

when i CLICK ON EITHER LINE OF CPU USAGE, IT JUST ENLARGES IT.

when i CLICK ON EITHER LINE OF CPU USAGE, IT JUST ENLARGES IT.

Ok. Your terminology is confusing. It does not show cpu USAGE there, just two separate cores.

You DO realise that I am talking about the screenshot (your last one) showing the device manager, not the Task Manager?

Crunchie,
I would like to say I am sorry for reading to fast and not paying attention to your post. In Device manager under processors it shows two processors, and shows both to be working. I am realy sorry for the confusion on my part.

Another simple way to check if they are both working is to run CoreTemp; http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
If both cores are working ok, it should show up in coretemp with two separate temperatures.
Once you have it, run it and post a screenie like mine.

Ok,,,, Here is a pic of core temp Crunchie.
I had went back into device manager and clicked the processor key and my two processors are listed separately. If I go to properties of each, it says, "The device is working Properly". I made sure I had the latest bios, and the latest drivers and all are up to date. I am at end. AMD and ASUS Tech suggest I do a fresh install of windows xp, but I do not see how that would be the problem, nor do I want to loose everything I have done on my CPU and have to start all over again. Your opinion?

They could be correct. For some reason, Windows is not recognising the other core.
A repair may correct that. If you have your XP CD you should give it a go.

BIOS definitely recognises both cores, yes?

Yes it is being recognized, every where but third party programs and in the task manager. They all report single.

Will I loose all my stuff doing a repair?

Repairing the OS will not remove data :). If I were you though, I would be backing up my data at some stage as the repair may not fix the problem.

Crunchie,
Last thing before I do this,,,, Do I need to uninstall all of my mother board drivers and processor drivers before repairing, or just go ahead and do the repair and let windows sort it out?
Again thank you so much for the time you have given me, even though I know you wanted to strangle me a couple of times!!:D

even though I know you wanted to strangle me a couple of times!!:D

Maybe :D.

No, just go ahead and try the repair. You will need to do all your M$ updates again though.
If the repair does not work though, that's the least of your worries.

LOL,,,, OK, Until I return with News of some kind,,,, Thanks a lot!!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.