I have a pc100 Parkard Bell when I removed 128mb dimm it stated pc133 so purchased and installed 2x256mb dimms but system is only showing them as 2x128mb Ihave tryed flashing bios with both updates from Parkard Bell but no difference can anybody suggest anything that won't incur further costs

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

How many memoery slots do you have?

Did you install one chip or two?

Was your old memory single sided or double sided?

What is the max RAM per slot that your computer will recognize?

The RAM modules are incompatible with your motherboard, I'm sorry to say. Not all PC133 RAM modules are identical technology. I do not believe that anything will make them detect correctly.

mightn't be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. I've come across quite a few older systems which exhibited the same behaviour, and short of purchasing a more expensive, alternate type of RAM module the limitation cannot be overcome. The earlier comment about single/double sided RAM is most likely the explanation, and 'double sided' RAM does not necessarily mean that the module has memory chips on both sides of the module - it's a memory configuration technology.

I have two memory slots,have installed two chips and the old memory was double sided 128mb

The max memory per slot is 256mb

Okay thanks for the reply its not a major issue just an annoyance my PC will suffice till I get a new one and give this one to the kids.

To force your CMOS/BIOS to recognise the upgrade you've got to go inside your PC and remove (count to ten)and replace the CMOS battery usually a CR2032. If it has worked you will hear a beep on startup.

Only do this if you're sure you are confident about taking the lid off your PC

To force your CMOS/BIOS to recognise the upgrade you've got to go inside your PC and remove (count to ten)and replace the CMOS battery usually a CR2032. If it has worked you will hear a beep on startup.

Only do this if you're sure you are confident about taking the lid off your PC

Thanks I'll give it a try the only problems I forsee is making sure I touch the chassi before I touch anything and I remove the correct item I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi guys seems like I've just been a bit thick I have 64bit technology what would be required to change this to 128bit technology as it seems a bit senseless having 512mb memory but only getting the benefit of only 256mb I'm not totally concerned as I've had enough new PC on the horizon after christmas

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.