Hey everyone, so the big question: AMD or Intel? I'm building a new PC and was wondering which would be better. Everyone for some reason or another says Intel, but they are people that aren't very computer literate, so I thought I'd ask some experts.

I've found a nice AMD black edition 3.6GHz quad core for $250 I believe it was, but haven't looked into Intel yet. The computer I have now is a laptop with an Intel.

So my question is is: AMD or Intel? Either is fine, I'm just looking for some expert opinions on the matter.

thanks everyone!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What are you going to use it for?
- high end game playing
- server farm
- s/w development
- surfing the web

What else are you intending to buy? To get the best out of it, you need to match it with similar spec memory, disks etc etc.

Intel is top of the tree at the moment if you are looking for outright performance.
For what you want though, you will likely not see a difference at all.

What are you going to use it for?
- high end game playing
- server farm
- s/w development
- surfing the web

What else are you intending to buy? To get the best out of it, you need to match it with similar spec memory, disks etc etc.

I'm planning to use it for gaming, s/w development, internet, web development, animation, and whatever else comes up.

I planned on running a dual boot of Win 7 and Ubuntu (but that doesn't really matter) with ATI CrossFire X graphics cards, and Kingston RAM and haven't decided anything else.

The 975BE will easily do what you are after :). I have the 940BE and it eats everything I throw at it.

Intel ecause with Intel i feel you get more for your money than AMD.

The 975BE will easily do what you are after :). I have the 940BE and it eats everything I throw at it.

Thanks for the help! I'll definitely look into AMD after looking at that :) I looked at the specs and that will most definitely do what I want it for and more :)

Thanks for the help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.