Hello,

I have Dell vostro laptop which has 2 GB RAM. It has one more slot where I can add 2 GB more so it will become 4 GB. I want to use my laptop at maximum possible speed. I am planning to take my laptop to computer shop to upgrade RAM. Which RAM I should buy to get maximum speed?

I checked my hardware configuration with one utility which says

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
DRAM Frequency 399.0 MHz
Memory Timings 6-6-6-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Device Locator Slot 1
Manufacturer Samsung
Part Number M4 70T5663EH3-CF7
Serial Number 955A03E2
Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Type DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Speed 400 MHz (DDR2 800)
Supported Frequencies 266.7 MHz, 333.3 MHz, 400.0 MHz
Memory Timings 4-4-4-12-16 at 266.7 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 5-5-5-15-20 at 333.3 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 6-6-6-18-24 at 400.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Data Width 64 bits
Manufacturing Date 2009, Week 4
EPP SPD Support No
XMP SPD Support No

I can add 2 GB more RAM and I am planning to buy this weekend.

Can I buy DDR3 RAM for this laptop with different frequency ? Is it possible for laptop to have one 2 GB module DDR2 with 399 Mhz and another 2 GB DDR3 with higher frequency?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

ddr3 will not work at all in this laptop .when you take to a computer shop they will know what ram to put into it ,good luck

copy /past from another site about ram

purchasing DDR2 or DDR3 RAM isn’t usually a matter of preference. DDR2 and DDR3 RAM are not compatible. If your motherboard uses DDR2, you cannot upgrade to DDR3 without upgrading your motherboard. This means that if you currently own a computer with DDR2 RAM and you want to upgrade to a brand new processor and motherboard you have to throw your your perfectly good DDR2 RAM and buy new DDR3 RAM.

:)Or in simpler terms for people who do these things just get the same RAM as is already in the machine!
Thanks and apologies to Caperjack he is right so often.

M

Thanks.

Thanks.

your welcome

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.