Hello,

I wonder, is it safe to use and run a standard computer (let's say Pentium 4 CPU 2 GB RAM) for 24 hours a day and 7 days a week in an AC room?

I am just supposing that if I own my own web hosting company. Also, do I need to register my domain? (let's say I installed www.mycompany.com for my domain), and I would like that domain to be active 24x7 . If so where to register it? and how?

Thanks before.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I wonder, is it safe to use and run a standard computer (let's say Pentium 4 CPU 2 GB RAM) for 24 hours a day and 7 days a week in an AC room?

If you have the appropriate power and cooling, sure its possible. But keep in mind that anything with a moving part will eventially fail. Its not easy keeping a PC running in good health without maintenance. Windows Servers for example, typically run better if you are restarting them at least once a month when you apply the monthly updates, just from experience.

I am just supposing that if I own my own web hosting company. Also, do I need to register my domain

Well, all you really need are accessible IPs, so theoretically no, you dont need a domain name, but how would you expect to do business without a domain name? You'll need a website to promote your hosting business.

and I would like that domain to be active 24x7 . If so where to register it? and how?

When you say the domain name active... I suspect that you mean that it is resolvable 24x7. Well, for that you need a highly available, fault tolerant DNS solution. Its very expensive to implement such a solution. For your domain name, it would be advisible to just register your name with a provider, say like GoDaddy or Network Solutions. You register your name and you can use their DNS services (its included in the domain name registration process). Your DNS name will be hosted by them and they have already invested millions into HA/Fault toleratent Data Centers, DNS infrastructure, etc... Sure, you can host your own DNS at home, but if you plan on providing a 24/7 solution not only for your DNS domain and your server for hosting, you will need multiple servers, load balancers, other network gear, cabling, redunant power, redundant AC systems, redundant internet connections, etc.., etc...

If you simply want to go through the experience of hosting at home, just you register your own domain name, use the provider's DNS, host the server at home, and give it a shot. Its a good learning experience.

For business, doing this at home is really challangeing. People that pay you will expect a certain level of service. When your internet connection goes down, power spikes, your server crashes, etc..., you'll have some angry customers. Again, I think for a learning experience its great. For business, you have to consider more than just running one server at home... just my two cents..dont mean to discourage you. I think you should do it.

If you have a static IP address and that is associated with a registered domain name, then it is available 24x7, assuming the system is running and visible to the internet. I have had friends who provided hosting services to rural towns in Massachusetts in the past doing this - otherwise the town's libraries and schools would have been unable to have a real internet presence.

Domain names normally require a static IP address. This is not an absolute requirement, but if the systems in question have dynamic addresses, then dealing with the address changes instigated by your ISP is a problem. Not insurmountable, but a real PITA (pain in the ass).

Ok. I see that Daniweb fuzzes out "nasties" such as 'a.s.s'... :-)
After editing it, the term seems to be restored... Go figure!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.