I'm getting a two year old computer (from a trusted seller) and was looking to upgrade the hardware. I went to a mediocre computer store and asked to see some of the parts I was looking for and the guy asked me some questions. When I told him the computer was 2 years old, he told me I'd also have to replace the motherboard. Is this true?

And for future refernece: how long should I keep and use a computer for before replacing the motherboard and other hardware?

INFO:
I'm planning on using this computer for primarily gaming and using the internet. I want to replace the processor, GPU, and add more RAM.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

unless you getting it for FREE, you might consider buying a new one ,now that being said ,we would need much more info on make and model numbers of hardware in the 2year old computer

Hello,

Where you looking for the best parts for your current motherboard or just looking for the best parts in general? You'll have to make sure they are at least compatible with your motherboard and any other components.

Also they maybe compatible but won't be full utilized, eg.using a SATA-III drive when the motherboard is SATA-II will run at SATA-II speeds etc...

unless you getting it for FREE, you might consider buying a new one

Actually, I am getting it for free.

we would need much more info on make and model numbers of hardware in the 2year old computer

That's not currently possible because I'm out of the country. Let me mention that this computer was being used ~2-3 weeks ago, so it's a functioning computer.

Where you looking for the best parts for your current motherboard or just looking for the best parts in general? You'll have to make sure they are at least compatible with your motherboard and any other components.

Actually, I just wanted to know if I had to replace the motherboard like the man in the computer shop said. I'll be back home in about two weeks, so I can post information on the computer by then, even though you likely won't be checking this post anymore.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.