Hi people, my mobo has 2 regular PCI slots and 1 PCIe x16 slot. I'm looking at a tv tuner that says system requirements are PCIe x1 or PCIe x8. Will this still work on my mobo or Do I have to buy a card that specificaly says either PCI or PCIe x16?
The tuner is a Hauppauge HVR-1800.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What slots does your motherboard have? Usually they have 1 PCIe x16, 1 x4 (or an x16 that also supports x4), and some PCIe x1 slots, at least newer ones do. I'm not sure if you can use an x1 board in an x4 or x16 slot - probably not, but as some have slots that support both x16 and x4 cards, there are some x4 slots that also support x1 boards. My advice is to go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and look at the board specifications.

Thanks for the responce. I also found some other posts that seem to think it will work so I went ahead and ordered the tuner card I was wondering about. As you advised I also checked the mobo's web site and then the mobo itself and found a PCIe x1, thing is the box only indicated PCI and PCIe x16. What the fxxx. Lots of trouble for nothing! Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.