1.11M Members

Primary boot disk device 0 not found

I orignally had a dual boot system and it ran great. I no longer had a need for a dual boot system and removed my second HD. I changed my jumper setting and got it running great with the single hard drive. Now I am getting the error " primary boot device 0 not found. I thought it was the hard drive so I changed out the HD and get the same error with 3 different HDs. I went into system setup and it says "unknown device" for device 0. I have tried several different things and no luck. Any suggestions.

Hi bottersbach
Have you checked in the BIOS menu, maybe there's something there that needs changing? Sounds like the board doesn't like not having two HDs anymore...

Thanks for the reply. I had it working with the single HD for about a week and now it says unknown device. It seems that the BIOS is not detecting the HD anymore. I don't think that the HD is bad because I have other HDs and it will not detect them either.

Right. Maybe a faulty IDE cable then? I mean that would be an easier problem to solve than having to re-configure the BIOS to see the drives, which I've had to do before *nightmare*

Thanks again, I will try the cable and let you know how it turns out. Seems to be the best place to start.

But I still find it odd that it would work, then not work... have you heard of Slipstream, or a Slipstream CD?

Question Answered as of 5 Years Ago by Thinka

I must have some other problem. I went out and bought and new HD and it fixed the problem. Sorry I took so long to mark as solved. It seems that both of my HDs that I used on my dual boot system were bad. I have a new problem now which may explain why I had two bad hard drives. I will post it in a new thread. Thanks for all the help.

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article