Dear friends. I have been using an external hard drive for over several months now to back up my files, till one day i discovered the stored files could not be accessed, for reasons only known to the computer. It does store still, it seems to me; but i could not access the files stored in there. It hid?

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

Dear friends. I have been using an external hard drive for over several months now to back up my files, till one day i discovered the stored files could not be accessed, for reasons only known to the computer. It does store still, it seems to me; but i could not access the files stored in there. It hid?

When you say you're backing up your files, are you using the inbuilt "back up and restore" wizard, or are you backing up manually?? The reason that I ask is that back-ups (either partial or full disk images) are inaccessible to anything BUT Windows... the user cannot open those folders up.

The reason for this is to make it is as unlikely as possible for those back-up images to be corrupted or tampered with in any way.

When you say you're backing up your files, are you using the inbuilt "back up and restore" wizard, or are you backing up manually??

Dear kaninelupus:

Not manually. I use the drive manager for the Free Agent
External Hard Drive. I wanted to mention the brand of my external hard drive, but is that allowed or necessary?

The reason that I ask is that back-ups (either partial or full disk images) are inaccessible to anything BUT Windows... the user cannot open those folders up.

Am not very sure if I fully comprehend this last sentence of yours. I wanted to access my files stored in the external hard drive, as some of them are not anymore stored in my built in/internal hard drives. Some video and powerpoint files I erased in my built in internal hard drives, but i earlier had stored them in the external hard drive. Since the files are not anymore in the internal built in drives, I now have to dig up my external hard drive back up for the much needed files. Hence, I need to access the files in the external hard drive, perhaps this is what is meant by "open". Ofcourse, in the windows way. (if i get your phrase correctly there?).

The reason for this is to make it is as unlikely as possible for those back-up images to be corrupted or tampered with in any way.

In the early months that I was using the external hard drive, I was able to access the files stored there, even copied some of them. But now, I lost the route or the correct procedure or the drive (G) for the external hard drive wont open to reveal the files that i need to copy or read.

Please ask me more clarificatory questions as i am really newbie and the computer technology is a necessary skill I have to learn, no matter how dense or difficult or confusing. I am determined to solve this problem. I must be able to retrieve or open the files i stored in my external hard drive.

abchua7

OK - just to try something out of the box, have you tried connecting the HDD through a different USB port. It may be something more serious, but this is always the first thing to try. Would have suggested this earlier, but it sounded like it was actual files on the HDD you couldn't access, not the entire HDD

Dear kaninelupus:
It is the entire external hard drive's stored files I could not navigate or access. Somewhere a block occurred I surmise.
I used a different usb port this time, but it still did not work. I access the folder options of external hard drive, and in the view tab, there is an item there marked Hidden files and folders with two options: one is do not show hidden files and folders, the other is show hidden files and folders. Currently, it goes always to the do not show hidden files and folders option. I click on the show hidden files and folders, but it doesn't work, assuming the files got hidden. If there is a way I can make the files folders appear that would be the gateway to the files, isn't it?
Have I described my difficulty clearly?
Please be patient.
abchua7

P. S. Technical jarjon: HDD means hard drive, why the extra D?

You'll also need to deselect the "hide protected operating system files", as it sounds like the OS has at some stage locked the folders down. This should at least make the files/folders visible so we can see what we are working with and if those file/folders still actually exist.

Dear kaninelupus:
Good day. Since I dropped by the computer shop this afternoon, I also made consultations regarding my problem with the external hard drive. It turned out in their monitor and their unit, they are able to open the external hard drive and my files are there displayed in their monitor. From the looks of it, they opined I have a virus or two in my computer or an error exists. They also opined that the virus control program I have is a weak program. Gave the name of another virus program. If i can only mention products name here I would, but I am not very sure if that is allowed. Hence I shall try to change virus program. See if that solves my hidden files.
But i failed to mention to you, that even in my computer, I am able to use search mode and get a file or two out from the external hard drive appear in my monitor, but not the entire files documents folders displayed with their corresponding titles, summing up all the files stored. It's just like in the library, you want the entire bibliographical listing displayed, but one can't seem to access that listing, but one title at a time is possible.
Any more opinion before i change my anti-virus program?
abchua7

well if you fell that the system you have has some problems that causes the problems, try putting up a LINUX live CD and see if you can access the External hard disk files from there

OK - I have heard of malware playing this game with core sys files, but not with personal files manually tucked aside. Is feasible you've transferred across an infected file across, but wouldn't have thought would have cloaked your external drive... but anything is possible. If this IS the case, DO NOT TRANSFER ANYTHING OUT OF THE DRIVE JUST YET!!

(Oh, and yes discussing various software apps is A-OK, so long as not going into illegally obtaining or cracking BTW :cool: )

First, download BOTH Ad-Aware and MalwareBytes - the two apps I'd trust to strip out any malware. Install (don't run a scan yet if given the option) then continue reading.

Now both these apps are at their best when OS has been loaded up in safe mode. Can either reboot and tap away at the F8 key before the Windows boot-logo arives. Simpler yet - hit WinKey+R and enter msconfig. Go to the boot tab and select "Safe Boot".

Taking this second option means that if after running one scan and needs to reboot so you can run other utility, will bring you straight back to safe mode without beating the F8 key. Just remember that when you are ready to boot as normal, go back into msconfig and rest your boot option. Both utilities should be run as Admin for extra gusto.

Now that everything has been scanned and stripped, first open up Folder Options from Control Panel (or if XP, go to the View option on the menu bar and open Folder Options from there). Make sure Hidden files and System files are both visible. Next, open up the HDD in My Computer. Right-click on each of the ROOT folders, and make sure each is neither set as Hidden or System. If running Vista, go to Advanced options and allow indexing.

HOPEFULLY this should sort things out. As I said earlier, don't try and copy anything off till you know all files are clean.

As to AV/Security apps?? I really like Symantec Endpoint Protection, but that's corporate ware. DECENT free options - Avira, Nod32 or Comodo all good. Paid for - G Data has had blazing reviews the last year or so, Panda, or Avast. Personally I steer to either Endpoint or Comodo (as Endpoint not yet 100% on Win7 yet) as they are by far the two most light weight suites with bundled firewall and system protection, but then everyone will have their own opinions.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay the hell away from either AVG or McAfee - They are the two BIGGEST heaps of crap on the market. Trend Micro isn't much better either. Have a look here for a few options to check out. Also check here for another independent comparison.

Hope this all helps :)

it seems like attribute ur files are changed... this is done by a virus... now ur files have the attribute +s (system files)..

take "RUN" from start menu and type attrib -s -h D:/filename

where D is the drive letter for hard driv, filename is the name of ur file...

it seems like attribute ur files are changed... this is done by a virus... now ur files have the attribute +s (system files)..

take "RUN" from start menu and type attrib -s -h D:/filename

where D is the drive letter for hard driv, filename is the name of ur file...

A) Didn't I already suggest that and

B) Don't you think adjusting properties via "properties panel" might not be a little easier for one less IT literate than yourself??

A) Didn't I already suggest that and

B) Don't you think adjusting properties via "properties panel" might not be a little easier for one less IT literate than yourself??

sorry bro... i dont think it need much IT literacy to write something in RUN box..
doin it via properties panel wont sometimes solve this problem.. cos his pc might be affected with virus ravmon which will disable the show hidden files option.., the option keeps bouncing back to ‘Do not show hidden files and folders’, despite repeated trials.

to remove this virus just in case, follow stept below..

Take regedit (type regedit in RUN)
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then open Software.Under this navigate to: Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Explorer Then go to Advanced -> Folder -> Hidden -> SHOWALL
Delete the value CheckedValue.
(Its type should be REG_SZ and data should be 2 or 0.)

Create a new DWORD value called CheckedValue (same as above, except that the type is REG_DWORD).

Modify the value data to 1 (0×00000001).This should enable you to select the ‘Show hidden files and folders’ option without much problem..

sorry bro... i dont think it need much IT literacy to write something in RUN box..
doin it via properties panel wont sometimes solve this problem.. cos his pc might be affected with virus ravmon which will disable the show hidden files option.., the option keeps bouncing back to ‘Do not show hidden files and folders’, despite repeated trials.

Again, keep it simple for him. Seeing he hasn't yet responded to say the regular methods of displaying a system file/folder unavailable, don't make assumptions which may end up confusing the buggery out him.

Opening Windows Explorer as Admin, or Folder Properties (in control panel) as Admin, will often allow folder properties to be force configured. Start simple first, and go more complex if those options not sufficient.

Again, keep it simple for him. Seeing he hasn't yet responded to say the regular methods of displaying a system file/folder unavailable, don't make assumptions which may end up confusing the buggery out him.

Opening Windows Explorer as Admin, or Folder Properties (in control panel) as Admin, will often allow folder properties to be force configured. Start simple first, and go more complex if those options not sufficient.

hahaa.. looks like u had recent fight with ur life partner/gf.. anyways i m not intrestd in using daniweb for personal discussions..

commented: dickhead +0

hahaa.. looks like u had recent fight with ur life partner/gf.. anyways i m not intrestd in using daniweb for personal discussions..

WTF are you babbling on about?? All I'm saying is keep it simple for him, and build from there. The poor guys sounds like has been getting frustrated enough trying to sort out the problem... don't exacerbate the problem.

Dear friends. Dropped by to say hello, and a little update. Just purchased what should be a good anti-virus / spyware program. Still maximizing this new anti-virus program, although I still have to solve problem above. My schedule in the office and school is toxic and leaves me no time. But middle August I will have more time. And will read carefully and learn from all of you: kaninelupus, arghasen and sajif. what is a linus live cd?
abchua7

Most Linux distros are available in a "live disk" form, which basically allows you to boot off the disk and use in much the same way you would a local install. Limitations naturally, as obviously can't install any extras (drivers, apps) as is a complete "as-is" product.

Useful for file recovery from local installations, or when looking to migrate to Linux, but wanting to try out a few distros before actually installing to HDD

Dear kaninelupus and sajif:

Greetings!

May I just be clarified re this posting from sajif:

his pc might be affected with virus ravmon which will disable the show hidden files option.., the option keeps bouncing back to ‘Do not show hidden files and folders’, despite repeated trials.
to remove this virus just in case, follow stept below..
Take regedit (type regedit in RUN)
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then open Software.Under this navigate to: Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Explorer Then go to Advanced -> Folder -> Hidden -> SHOWALL
Delete the value CheckedValue.
(Its type should be REG_SZ and data should be 2 or 0.)
Create a new DWORD value called CheckedValue (same as above, except that the type is REG_DWORD).
Modify the value data to 1 (0×00000001).This should enable you to select the ‘Show hidden files and folders’ option without much problem..

My friends:
After following the step by step instruction, I end up with registry editor.
This is what I see: (note: the first line here appears much earlier than the 2nd and 3rd.)

Registry Editor
Name Type Data
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
CheckedValue REG_DWORD 0X00000000 (0)
DefaultValue REG_DWORD 0X00000002 (2)
HELP ID . . . . . . .

My friends. Am a bit confused about

“Delete the value CheckedValue.
(Its type should be REG_SZ and data should be 2 or 0.)” The checkedvalue line here (2nd line) has reg_dword as type, not reg_sz. It is the first line that has that type.

Please help me.

abchua7

Dear friends. It has been about three months now. Still unable to open my external hard drive. Although I have installed a good anti-virus program, Kaspersky, it has not solved my problem. How to open in my personal computer the contents of my external hard drive.
This might be asking too much, but I just could not follow what to me are very complex and possible risky instructions.
Does any body have a simpler solution.

Thanks a lot. I have the problem under control now and I can access the files now. I deselected the 'Hide protected operating system files' and walla! the files appeared in the external hard drive. Thanks once again.
- MacDonald Guma Mbalule

I have experienced this kind of problem. I though I can fix it with the Folder Options but it failed. I tried using the CMD, go to my drive letter and type "dir". Example: F: > then type "dir". From there I can clearly see that my files are still intact but I can't actually see them when I open the partition. I soon heard that a certain malware can cause this problem just like what kaninelupus have said. I tried to scan it and to my surprise I found several malwares but I can't delete them. Using a live CD of Ubuntu can help you see the files, but not removing the malware. Sadly I was forced to format it and lose all my files.

Try running CHKDSK over the External Hard Drive, it may repair a corrupt file or place it in a folder named Found on your E H D. The corrupt file makes all files vanish from the your main folder on your E H D.

Files that do not show in a folder on an external hard drive may be detected by running a virus scan over the EHD. You will see the files being scanned although they appear to be missing from the folder.

Go to Folder options and then click the option of View and check Show hidden files and folders

Hi kevin2s Just joined, added a valid post and was down voted....not a nice welcome?

Is there a way to find out why or who down voted?

Someone may have hit the downvote button by accident, it happens.

I'm afraid there is no way to see who voted, the up/down vote system is anonymous. Usernames are only attached when someone leaves reputation, positive or negative.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks for the reassurance Mr happygeek

it's been damaged?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.