i have a maxtor basics 1TB hard drive with about 700gb of data that seems to have gone walkabout. worked well and showed no signs that a problem was forthcomming, tried to access it recently computer says unrecognised device it still shows up as a F drive but when you go to disc management it isnt there. tried DSKCHK and that says wont work on RAW files, tried to format and computer cant access I/O ERROR i have also tried RECUVA and other software on windows 7 my hard drive when opened up is blank with 0 bites and 0 free space when plugged into a vista machine it says free space 230 aaand used 700 and something but still opens up blank is there anything left to try

try to formar your External HDD using this command, format X: /fs:ntfs press enter or format x: /fs:fat32 press enter the X where the drive letter of the HDD.. hope it works... if you cant format in the VIsta operating system try to format your External HDD in the windows XP... .....

Tried it on Vista and XP just says it can't read partition of drive thanks for your input i think that i might just have to cut my losses and get a new hard drive it's a pity about the Data though again thankyou benmar for taking time to help

i think you can recover your data from your 1TB external, try to connect your external HDD via usb in a Ubuntu operating system.. browse my computer look the external HDD their hope it can read their then back up and copy the data of your External HDD...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.