I have a western digital external hard drive, brand new, 1TB

I have one desktop with a windows 7 64bit OS, and a laptop with a windows 7 32bit OS

when i plug the external hard drive into either device, an icon pops up in the task bar that says installing drivers and is ready to use, i hear the sound as well when the device is connected to either system, however when i go into my computer the device is not there, and this is happening on both laptop and desktop. any recommendations would be great thank you very much.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Did you install the drivers and what is your hard drive model?

The model of the hard drive is a western digital if you are referring to the serial number it is "WCAV58025357" And there was no CD to install any drivers,

right click on [my]computer ,click on manage,go to disk management ,does it show in the list there,if so what does it say ,like active/system ,ect ect

yes i have tried looking in there as well, and it is not being shown up, in disk management,

take it back to where you bought it,its defective

I want the model number not the serial number, western digital is a brand.

Okay the model number is WDBAAF7500EBK-00, i have went to western digital to try and download the firmware update and the formatter and it is not recognizing the drive, and i have disconnected all other drives to be on the safe side.

if its still under warranty then return it ,its broke

Your hard drive is fauly, follow caperjack's advice.

Your hard drive is fauly, follow caperjack's advice.

and you needed the model # to tell that ,lol

I needed the model number to check the drivers and search the internet whether this model of hard drive has this error, if yes that means it is common and the manufacturer should do something about it.

I needed the model number to check the drivers and search the internet whether this model of hard drive has this error, if yes that means it is common and the manufacturer should do something about it.

makes sense ,sorry I question on that .

Never mind, I like people with a sense of curiosity:)

[snipped quoted spam link]

what a pile of crap in that link ,they even make an assumption that the drive was dropped and has bad sectors ,and suggest taking it to a repair shop

Maybe some random member of that forum trying to promote in here on daniweb.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.